What are these pockets of fat and how do I get rid of them? (photo)

I am a 22 year old female of some kind of Asian decent (my specific background is unknown). I have had these strange pockets of fat by my mouth as long as I can remember. They are very ugly and I would love to know what I can do to get rid of them, or at the very least find out what they are. Thanks!

Perioral Mounds

Those are classic perioral mounds and are one of the best illustrations of them that I have seen. There are reduced by small cannula liposuction.

Correction of perioral fat deposits

Based on very limited information these photos provide, it seems that these may be localised fat deposits. A simple reduction using a small liposuction cannula would be my first thought.

You should seek a consultation with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for clinical evaluation and discuss your options. Good luck. 

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

And the answer is: Perioral Mounds

Fillers in this area work very well if placed meticulously. I like using cannulas to limit complications. Sometimes you need implants, buccal fat removal or even thread lifting to help.  See an expert in facial contouring for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer.

What are these pockets of fat and how do I get rid of them?

Discrete fat pockets in the lower cheek are commonly called jowls. They can be lifted with Ulthera® laser or tightened with radiofrequency laser. 

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Hi, from the photos these appear to be "pseudo jowls" which are a result of a very weak chin.  This makes sense as having true "jowls" would not be expected in a 22 year old face.  The lack of chin support allows these tissues to sag.  I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.