Can I get a small tattoo lasered off after having received Kidney Transplant?

I have a small faded tattoo on my finger and want it removed, the clinic has says the laser zaps the ink which then goes to the blood and out through the kidneys, will this be safe for me considering I have had a kidney transplant three years ago?

Tattoo removal in kidney transplant patient

It is perfectly safe to get tattoo removal with a kidney transplant. It will not affect your kidneys. Make sure the provider is aware of the transplant so if there is a complication with healing, he will be able to treat it appropriately.

Tattoo Removal and Transplant

Thank you for your question. It should be safe to have laser tattoo removal without it affecting your kidney transplant. However, before having treatment you should check with your doctor. It is best to have a consultation with an expert to discuss your concerns and desires. Best of Luck! 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Tattoo Removal After Transplant

Having your tattoo removed via laser should not give you any problems with your kidney transplant. However, due to your medical history I would consult with your surgeon prior to getting any type of treatments done. Please see a board certified dermatologist for the best results.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Tattoo removal

I don't think having a transplant would preclude you from having your tattoo removed. I would recommend being cleared by your surgeon prior to treatment to be safe.

Kristin J. Tarbet MD, FACS
Bellevue Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tattoo Removal Options--Micropen TR

I would speak with your Dr, but laser tattoo removal shouldn't be a problem for you. Also, the tattoo can be removed with MicropenTR which is not a laser and can be used for tattoo removal. I recommend an evaluation with an expert in tattoo removal in order to determine the best options for you.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Tattoo removal and transplant

You should be able to safely have the tattoo removed without it affecting your transplant.  However, prior to undergoing any treatment, you should confirm with your transplant physician that he or she is in agreement. 

Jeffrey Gosin, MD, FACS
Atlantic City Vascular Surgeon