Painful Hymen Remanant, removal cost? (photo)

When I was younger I had a septate hymen which naturally broke during intercourse. I then had no problem with pain during sex for a year or so and the hymen tag was only very thin and small, however now it has grown and cause persistent pain during sex on the same spot. I want to have it removed, howver I only have Medicare and know it will cost a lot, which I don't have. Does anyone know the average cost and how the procedure works? Thankyou

Vaginoplasty/Vaginal Rejuvenation

I appreciate your question.

Cost varies by geographic location, surgeon expertise, OR time, anesthesia, length of procedure etc.  I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery and who is also a member of The American Society of Plastic Surgery.  You can call their offices in advance and ask for quotes prior to scheduling consultations.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Pain from a hymenal remnant

Dear charlie96,Thank you for your question and photo. Seeing as you appear to be quite symptomatic from this situation you may indeed be able to have this covered by your insurance. The indicated procedure is safe, quick, easy and can be done without significant "specialty training" and done in the office under local anesthesia with great results. Best of luck.

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Hymenal remnant

Quick and Easy in office procedure done by someone who knows what they are doing.  Consult a local gynecologist or urogynecologist.

Pain from hymenal remnant

You should see your gynecologist and ask to have the hymenal remnant removed. It can be performed in the office under local anesthesia and should be covered by your insurance.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Do you want your hymen remnant excised?

This is a quick office procedure done under local anesthesia and requires no specialized training. Any gynecologist can do this and should be covered under even the world's worst medical insurance plan.