Small hole open 4.5 weeks post BLBA? (Photos)

My recovery from BL BA has been unremarkable. Incisions look good - had one spitting stitch a week ago but otherwise fine. Today I notice a hole that is a tad pussy under on breast in the verticals incision. My doctor blew me off as it was evening and 'not an emergency ' but a hole opening in my body is an emergency to me. He said neosporin twice a day but didn't want to see me - is this normal??

Slow healing on incisions

Thank you for your question and photo.   You appear to have a small area of slow healing that appears clean and healthy.  This happens from time to time, usually from a small suture underneath that becomes inflamed. This will generally heal well with local wound care using vaseline or a topical antibiotic ointment.  I understand that this can be concerning, but I would not worry that it is an emergency.  Best to follow up with your doctor at the next available visit so they can examine you and instruct you on proper wound care.  Good luck.  

Small Hole Open at 4.5 Weeks Post-Op

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION, LIFTS

1.    pain is variable

2.    it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax

3.    celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASYMMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the initial surgical fee.

While the incisions and scars need to be cared for with caution, an opening that has occurred deserves the attention of your plastic surgeon. It would be best to contact for an immediate visit to have the incision examined and make sure that healing is going well or if something needs to be corrected. Good luck.

Stitch abscess

It looks like a stitch abscess reaction based upon the photos but wouldn't be a 100% sure without an exam.. Definitely make an appointment to see your surgeon to be sure.

Wound After Breast Augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question and photos. The small wound may be a small suture abscess or spitting stitch which is quite common. Based on your photos, there doesn't appear to be any signs of surrounding infection. The best thing to do is to make an appointment with your plastic surgeon to have it evaluated. Continue to place antibiotic ointment on the area in the mean time. I hope this has helped you and best of luck with your recovery.

Kenneth A. Godwin, DO
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon