Are There Long-Term Side Effects From Botox and is it Safe?

Can Botox have side effect in future?

It's impossible to predict what the answer will be in another 15-20 years but our experience so far has suggested that Botox is safe short- and long-term. On a related note, Botox for wrinkles uses a much smaller dose than patients receive for muscle spasticity. Those patients who've been receiving large doses of Botox for other functional problems also have not had problems further supporting our finding that cosmetic Botox is safe.

I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Botox safe?

Is Botox safe? 

Botox is used for a variety of cosmetic and non-cosmetic purposes and has been safely used since the early 1990's. In 2002 the FDA approved it for use of frown lines. There have been many clinical trials and over 400 peer-reviewed articles in scientific and medical journals about it's use. Though rare, there can be serous side effects. Some people with certain medical conditions should not use Botox. Additionally, some individuals on certain medications should not have this procedure in case it leads to a drug interaction. It is important to disclose your full medical history and provide a list of medication to your doctor before he begins the procedure.

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Safety

I have been using Botox for almost 20 years and have found it to be safe and effective.  There have been no long term side effects noted for Botox.  Most patients who receive Botox for cosmetic indications receive small amounts and have the injections repeated twice a year.  The continued rise in popularity of Botox shows how easy, safe, and effective Botox is.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results.

Long-Term Effects of Botox?

When administered by an expert medical professional, Botox and all of the neuromodulators like Dysport and Xeomin have been proven to be very safe and effective. Studies have not shown any damaging long-term side effects from Botox. In fact, we were part of a 10 year Botox study proving that twice yearly treatments were not only safe and effectiuve but maintained a youthful appearance over time. To ensure the best results, it is necessary to visit an experienced injector. At my practice in San Diego, we house five of the most world-renowned injectable experts.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Long Term Effects of Botox

I have been using Botox (Botulinum Toxin) to my patients for more than 20 years bu tI have not encountered any long term side effects except for atrophy of the frontalis muscle which may result in more prominent bony contour of the forehead. This is however not a problem in most patients and is extremely safe under the hands of a professional injector. 

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Long Term side Effects from Botox and is it Safe

Botox has been used for over 20 years and thus far there have been no long term side effects. It is used in such small doses for wrinkles and for so long now that you should feel confident of no long term side effects.

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox safety

Botox and its competitors have been used for over 20 years with a great safety profile in properly trained hands. In my opinion properly trained hands mean a board certified dermatologist, plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Long-term Botox effects

Botox has been used for several decades now, and no evidence of meaningful long-term side-effects have been noticed thus far.

William Numa, MD, FACS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Safety side effects

Botox has been found to be safe and effective.  It has been used for many medical conditions as well as cosmetic indications for frown lines, forehead lines and crowe's feet.  I have not seen any untoward side effects in my patients doing the botox injections for the past 10 years.  

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Long term side effects of Botox

Botox has been used for over 20 years now with thousands of studies and across many countries, successfully and safely. It has been used in numerous indications including: cosmetic, hyperhidrosis, migraines, bladder dysfunction, cerebral palsy, club foot, post stroke spasticity, Raynaud's disease and more. Used properly by highly trained physicians, it is an incredibly safe treatment in the short and long term. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon