How can I help the swelling from my 1st round of shots?

i had my 1st round of injections on Wed april 27 and was not aware that the swelling would be so bad. I am celebrating my 25th anniversary on may 11 in the bahamas and i am starting to panic that this swelling will not go down. i have no problem with the numbness and slight bruising however i look horrible in pictures right now. Is there anything i can do to reduce this swelling within the next week?

Swelling after Kybella typically lasts about 5 days.  Sometimes it can last for several weeks or longer.  If you are still swollen after a week, you can take anti-inflammatories if you are worried about your trip.  Cool compresses and sleeping with your head elevated can help too.  Have a great trip!

Hello Lorinaha,

The swelling should really be gone by 1 week post treatment (at that time it looks like it did before the shot).  If you are concerned, there are anti inflammatories that can help including a prescription for a steroid if the swelling is really bad. I'd recommend you follow up with your injector to see if a prescription is needed at this time.

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella & Swelling

Ice, mild compression and keeping your head elevated when you lie down or sleep are what I recommend for my patients who are suffering from above average swelling. Anti-inflammatories may help. Speak with your surgeon as to what he or she recommends. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Kybella

Swelling usually will last about 4-5 days, improving each day. I don't think there is one specific thing that makes the swelling go down faster. Ice packs, chin straps, etc. all can potentially help. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to reduce swelling/bruising from KYBELLA

Most patients have some real swelling after the injection, but it should be much better by the second to third week.  Arnica Montana may help bruising to go away faster.  It's a little late, but the best idea might be to avoid medications that may lead to bruising such as fish oil, NSAID's and aspirin for 2 weeks before your injection, and consider Zyrtec (Ceterizine) which is a non sedating antihistamine that you take one pill the day before, the day of and the day after.  Ice and elevation after may help as well.  Congrats on your 25th!

Jonathan Hall, MD

Kybella - post procedure swelling

It is not uncommon to experience swelling after Kybella injections. I suggest head elevation (sleeping in a recliner or on a few extra pillows), compression (Ace wrap or jaw bra), ice, and an anti-inflammatory medicine.

Swelling after Kybella

In my experience essentially all patients treated with Kybella will have some degree of swelling which typically lasts about 1 week and then gradually improves.  If it has been much longer than a week and you still notice significant swelling then I would suggest you check with your doctor who performed the injections to possibly be evaluated.  
I recommend my patients apply cool packs to the neck for the first 24 hours, but I haven't found anything is really effective after that time.  Best of luck!

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Physician

Swelling of neck post Kybella I hate it... What can I do?

Normally swelling after Kybella injections last about a week. In our practice we use post injection ice and compression. In rare instances we will use a Medrol Dosepak to decrease inflammation.

I highly recommend you contact your personal plastic surgeon for his or her advice on your post injection swelling.

Kybella and swelling

Thank you for your question and for sharing your concerns. I would recommend that you do a lot of cold compresses or icing, in combination with compression. Your swelling should be down before your trip.

Kybella Swelling -- FDA approved for Submental Fat, Non Surgical Option But Still New

We use venus legacy post treatments to help the swelling and improve skin tightening after the procedure.  Best, Dr. Emer.