Should I have this much bruising from Sclerotherapy? (photos)

Had Sclerotherapy to both upper thighs 5 days ago. Bruising us very bad. Using compression stockings and bruise cream.

Bruising after sclerotherapy

Thank you for your question and pictures.  It is not uncommon to have bruising after sclerotherapy.  I would recommend continuing to wear your compression hose as instructed.  If the bruising does not improve over the next couple of weeks then I would recommend getting an appointment for an in person evaluation.  Best of luck to you!

Sclerotherapy

Thank you for your question in regards to sclerotherapy. The amount of bruising and swelling post sclerotherapy can vary on the severity between patients, but is to be expected. Continue to wear compression stockings for two weeks. Contact your provider for a follow up if bruising does not subside after those two weeks. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Should I have this much bruising from Sclerotherapy?

Thank you for your question.  It is common to have bruising and swelling after sclerotherapy and it varies in extent with each individual.  Be sure to wear your compression hose.  If you don't experience improvement over the next 2 weeks, be sure to contact your physician.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Bruising and Swelling Post Sclerotherapy

It is common to have bruising and swelling post sclerotherapy and you should be wearing compression for a few weeks to help limit any brown discoloration that can form. If you continue to have concerns, please follow up with your physician. Best, Dr. Emer

Bruising after sclerotherapy

The amount of bruising seen after sclerotherapy varies from patient to patient.  Clearly you have more bruising than most patients.  There are many factors that may contribute to increased bruising, including venous hypertension (high pressure in veins below the surface, typically identified by performance of an ultrasound), blood thinning medications (Coumadin, Lovenox, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatoires such as ibuprofen), and supplements such as fish oil and ginkgo biloba.   In any event, bruising is self-limited and should clear with time.
To speed up the process, consider taking or applying arnica or Dermaka.  Hope that helps!

Post sclerotherapy bruising.

The amount of bruising post sclerotherapy treatment varies from patient to patient.  You do have a lot of bruising but I would give it time to resolve which may take 2 to 6 weeks.  Topical creams such as Dermaka may help as well as arnica.  Continue with compression until the bruising subsides.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon