Can fraxel laser be used on arms?

I have numerous brown spots on my arms and wondered if fraxel laser or IPL might help correct this? Also, is there a chance of "rebound" hyper pigmentation?

Brown spots on arms

Fraxel is the ideal laser for brown spots on the arms and sun damage.  However, you have to keep in mind two things - that the laser for extensive sun damage needs to be repeated at least three times to get rid of the sun damage - and that if there are extremely dark sun spots you may need spot treatment with the tri-vantage laser or Yag laser.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with Fraxel and lasers.

The Fraxel Restore Dual Laser works very well on the arms and hands and also on the legs.

The Fraxel Dual with the combination of the 1550nm Erbium Glass laser and the 1927nm Thulium laser works extremely well for improving the skin texture as well as lentigenes (age spots and freckles) on the arms, hands, face, neck, legs, back and chest.   It is my favorite laser for that purpose.  This is a great choice for a person whose wrinkles are not too severe.  This also helps get rid of precancerous lesions in those areas. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel for brown spots on the arms

I strongly recommend that you see a board certified dermatologist for a specific diagnosis of all of the brown spots on your arms. Depending on what they are (sunspots, keratoses, freckles, moles), various lasers such as Nd:Yag, Fraxel or Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) may indeed be effective, as may cryotherapy (the rapid freezing of benign skin growths using liquid nitrogen). Depending on both your skin type and whether these lesions are superficial or deep, recurrent hyperpigmentation can occur. That is why it is important to see a board-certified dermatologist for diagnosis who can then recommend the removal method that would be best for you to minimize the chance of scarring and/or "rebound" hyperpigmentation.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Brown Spot Removal

Yes, Fraxel laser and IPL are both great options for brown spot removal on the arms. See your dermatologist to determine which treatment is best for you! 

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel for Brown Spots

Yes, Fraxel is very helpful to minimize the appearance of brown spots on the arms. It is best to consult with your board-certified dermatologist to determine if Fraxel is the best treatment for you. 

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon