Does Rosacea complicate fraxel treatment for acne scars?

I have 2 problems. 1) acne scars from when I was a teenager (I am 40 yrs.) 2) mild rosacea. I know Fraxel is recommended for acne scars and IPL for rosacea. If I have only one of the treatments which would be the more effective for attempting to tackle both problems?

Fraxel and Rosacea Treatments

In answer to your initial question, Rosacea should not complicate your Fraxel treatment for acne scarring dramatically. You can do both a treatment for Rosacea, such as the Vbeam, and a Fraxel on the same day. Regarding your second question, there is not a good answer for which treatment is more effective at tackling both problems. The Fraxel does not effectively treat the redness of rosacea and the IPL or Vbeam does not treat the acne scarring that the Fraxel would be best for.There are various types of both rosacea and scarring however, so see your physician for a consult that can be more specifically tailored to your needs.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Best treatment for rosacea and acne scars

Rosacea can be treated with both topical and oral antibiotics. The redness from rosacea can best be treated with the V-Beam laser. The V-beam laser is still the gold standard for treating the redness of the rosacea. The acne scars can be best treated with the Fraxel laser. It will effectively treat the acne scars but will take multiple treatments.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in lasers

You can have IPL and Fraxel Repair Laser on the same day for scars and rosacea.

It is possible to treat the acne scars and rosacea on the same day using IPL and the Fraxel Repair Laser.  I personally also like to use tumescent anesthesia and subcision in addition to the Fraxel Repair Laser for maximum results. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon