I Have a Painful Vein Under my Breast. I Am Very Busty. What Are My Options?

I Have a Painful Vein Under my Breast. I Am Very Busty. What Are My Options?

Doctor Answers 5

Painful vein under the breast may be superficial vein thrombophlebitis - Buffalo Niagara, NY

I recommend that you see a vein specialist. 

These are superficial veins on the breast and are prone to develop superficial vein thrombophlebitis. They are usually quite painful to the touch and require local treatment with heat and ibuprofen. 

I also recommend a Phlebitis PAK which is natural anti inflammatories. 

Read about breast veins on my website. 

Buffalo Phlebologist
4.8 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Painful Veins

Thank you for your question. This should be looked at by your OBGYN or General Surgeon.  This may need a surgical option, or another option may be possible.  A laser will only address the superficial vessel, and the vein may not be the only issue. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist
3.9 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Need to be examined

Without examining it is difficult to say with certainty what the problem would be.  Best thing to do is see your plastic surgeon who performed the surgery.  But, most likely it could be thrombosis of a vein which can be helped with warm compresses and NSAIDS.  Speak to your plastic surgeon to get a more accurate diagnosis and treatment.

Andre Aboolian, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 60 reviews

Painful Vein Under the Breast

There are several reasons why the vein under your breast may be painful.  It may be due to vein thrombosis, which in tern causes inflammation and pain, it may also be due something underlying the vein and has nothing to do with the vein itself.  The best thing to do is to see a Breast Surgeon right away and ensure that there is nothing more significant going on. 

Sometimes non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications can help, but before treating yourself, make sure you see a physician.


Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Painful Vein under Breast

Hi there-

Without knowing more about the circumstances of your complaint, and without an exam, it would be very difficult to give you a responsible answer...

Visit with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a consultation.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS
Orlando Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.