How Painful Are Restylane Injections?

I'm a big baby I don't like pain, I've wanted lips for a year now and I'm finally going to face my fears and get over it. My mom has Restylane done to her lips and she said it hurt very badly. She did have a dental block, but it still hurt. I have asked myself over and over. Am I willing to go under that bit of pain to look better? I've had a nose job, the only pain I had was when the dr was removing my cast, I cried, but I got over it.

Ask for nerve blocks before Restylane to the lips.

This does not have to be any more painful than two tiny needle pricks (1 per side) to anesthetize the infra-orbital nerves, and two needle pokes to numb the mental nerves, These can also be done via intraoral approaches after first numbing the mucosa with topical anesthetic like the dentist uses, making the injections virtually pain-free. Then your injector can enlarge your lips as desired.

If you like the look of Restylane-enlarged lips, you may want to consider dermal fat graft permanent lip enlargement, which can give you soft, sensate, natural, and permanent lip enlargement with your own tissues. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Nerve blocks are unnecessary for Restylane injections to the lips

I used to perform nerve blocks for Restylane and Juvederm injections to the lips.  They are painful, create swelling that distorts the mouth and sometimes lasts for days, and leave patients numb and drooling.  I am happy to say that none of my patients has required a dental nerve block in about 3 years.  High-potency, specially formulated topical anesthetic ointment and laughing gas have made my life--and my patients' lives--much easier.  

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Restylane doesn't have to hurt!

Everyone has a different pain tolerance.  Some of my patients only want ice before injections and some require intravenous sedation.  It is all about what works for you.  You can find a plastic surgeon or dermatologist that will design a treatment plan that you are comfortable with.  You don't have to suffer to have Restylane or any other treatment.  If your doctor doesn't offer the options you desire, look around.  You can find someone who does.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Are Lip Injections Painful?

Hi Pascal.  Generally lips are one of the more sensitive injection areas of the face.  Normally, dental blocks, triple numbing cream and/or ice packs will allow you to get through the procedures. 

Everyone's pain tolerance is different so what might be excruciating for you, is a piece of cake for someone else.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Facial filler injections don't have to be painful

A single numbing pinprick on each side can make facial filling injections almost free of sensation.  At most your upper lip might feel (not look) huge for a half hour.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane in the lips does not have to hurt

An appropriately placed dental block (one plced in the gum area, just as you would would receive from the dentist when having a cavity filled) will allow you to receive Restylane pain free.  Topical numbing medication can also be placed on the lips for added insurance.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Injections in the Lips...."No Pain, No Gain"?

Hi Pascal,

OUCH! Just kidding.

Restylane or Juvederm lip injections do not need to torture a patient. Two small local anesthetic injections above your lip and two below (nerve blocks) are all you should feel.

Some patients like you opt to have a friend or relative drive them to their treatment so that they can pre-medicate with an anti-anxiety med like Xanax 1 mg about 30 minutes before their injections.

Ice compresses before the injections, and the addition of a tiny amount of local anesthetic to the filler also help.

Most importantly, choose your injecting physician carefully. In the lips usually "Less is More". Go for subtle changes.

Have fun and enjoy your new lips.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Injections

Every individual has a different pain tolerance, but most patients do not experience any discomfort during Restylane injections. Icing the treatment area or applying topical anesthetic before injections can help to lessen any potential discomfort.

Charles M. Boyd, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Injection Pain

The majority of my patients have not required a dental block and have tolerated Restylane injections well with out any type of anesthetic besides the lidocaine that is already mixed in with the product in the syringe. Many find that a topical anesthetic cream can reduce the discomfort of the injections and cold packs applied immediately prior to injection also help to minimize the discomfort. Once the product is injected, the lidocaine starts numbing the area. Although you will feel some needle pokes, most people find that once they go through their initial injectable experience, they now know what to expect and are not as intimidated with future injections.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Many methods of eliminating pain may be used for Restylane treatment

Restylane can be virtually painless! In my office we use 3 techniques for all patients- topical numbing cream, ice during the treatment, and also mix in extra lidocaine (numbing medicine) into the syringe. This makes our fillers very comfortable. 

I can attest myself- I have treated myself with the above 3 numbing techniques and have also just had Restylane without the numbing and it makes a big difference! 

Restylane is so soft and natural - it is wonderful that it can also be very comfortable! 

Mohiba Khan Tareen, MD
Minneapolis Dermatologic Surgeon