How Painful Are Restylane Injections?

I'm a big baby I don't like pain, I've wanted lips for a year now and I'm finally going to face my fears and get over it. My mom has Restylane done to her lips and she said it hurt very badly. She did have a dental block, but it still hurt. I have asked myself over and over. Am I willing to go under that bit of pain to look better? I've had a nose job, the only pain I had was when the dr was removing my cast, I cried, but I got over it.

Ask for nerve blocks before Restylane to the lips.

This does not have to be any more painful than two tiny needle pricks (1 per side) to anesthetize the infra-orbital nerves, and two needle pokes to numb the mental nerves, These can also be done via intraoral approaches after first numbing the mucosa with topical anesthetic like the dentist uses, making the injections virtually pain-free. Then your injector can enlarge your lips as desired.

If you like the look of Restylane-enlarged lips, you may want to consider dermal fat graft permanent lip enlargement, which can give you soft, sensate, natural, and permanent lip enlargement with your own tissues. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Nerve blocks are unnecessary for Restylane injections to the lips

I used to perform nerve blocks for Restylane and Juvederm injections to the lips.  They are painful, create swelling that distorts the mouth and sometimes lasts for days, and leave patients numb and drooling.  I am happy to say that none of my patients has required a dental nerve block in about 3 years.  High-potency, specially formulated topical anesthetic ointment and laughing gas have made my life--and my patients' lives--much easier.  

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Restylane doesn't have to hurt!

Everyone has a different pain tolerance.  Some of my patients only want ice before injections and some require intravenous sedation.  It is all about what works for you.  You can find a plastic surgeon or dermatologist that will design a treatment plan that you are comfortable with.  You don't have to suffer to have Restylane or any other treatment.  If your doctor doesn't offer the options you desire, look around.  You can find someone who does.

Restylane doesn't have to hurt!

Are Lip Injections Painful?

Hi Pascal.  Generally lips are one of the more sensitive injection areas of the face.  Normally, dental blocks, triple numbing cream and/or ice packs will allow you to get through the procedures. 

Everyone's pain tolerance is different so what might be excruciating for you, is a piece of cake for someone else.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Are Lip Injections Painful?

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Facial filler injections don't have to be painful

A single numbing pinprick on each side can make facial filling injections almost free of sensation.  At most your upper lip might feel (not look) huge for a half hour.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane in the lips does not have to hurt

An appropriately placed dental block (one plced in the gum area, just as you would would receive from the dentist when having a cavity filled) will allow you to receive Restylane pain free.  Topical numbing medication can also be placed on the lips for added insurance.

Restylane Injections in the Lips...."No Pain, No Gain"?

Hi Pascal,

OUCH! Just kidding.

Restylane or Juvederm lip injections do not need to torture a patient. Two small local anesthetic injections above your lip and two below (nerve blocks) are all you should feel.

Some patients like you opt to have a friend or relative drive them to their treatment so that they can pre-medicate with an anti-anxiety med like Xanax 1 mg about 30 minutes before their injections.

Ice compresses before the injections, and the addition of a tiny amount of local anesthetic to the filler also help.

Most importantly, choose your injecting physician carefully. In the lips usually "Less is More". Go for subtle changes.

Have fun and enjoy your new lips.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi Pascal,

OUCH! Just kidding.

Have fun and enjoy your new lips.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

How painful or painless is Restylane?

Thanks for your question. So, how painful or painless is Restylane? This actually depends on an individual’s pain tolerance. Each person can tolerate pain in a different way as compared to another. That said, based on my experience, most of my patients have not experienced discomfort during Restylane injection sessions.

For the most part, Restylane is well tolerated by many patients with topical anesthetics. However, if you are planning to undergo Restylane injection and would like to avoid discomfort, you may do well applying anesthetic topically 45 minutes prior to  injections. This will aid in lessening possible discomforts. Moreover, Lidocaine is mixed in the syringe so that the patient will experience little to no pain. Once Restylane is injected, Lidocaine will take effect and numb the treatment site. Still needle pokes will be felt, but you should be able to tolerate this as you have mentioned, you have already had a rhinoplasty  before. Hope this helps! Good luck!

How painful or painless is Restylane?

Restylane Injections

Every individual has a different pain tolerance, but most patients do not experience any discomfort during Restylane injections. Icing the treatment area or applying topical anesthetic before injections can help to lessen any potential discomfort.

Charles M. Boyd, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Injections

Charles M. Boyd, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Injection Pain

The majority of my patients have not required a dental block and have tolerated Restylane injections well with out any type of anesthetic besides the lidocaine that is already mixed in with the product in the syringe. Many find that a topical anesthetic cream can reduce the discomfort of the injections and cold packs applied immediately prior to injection also help to minimize the discomfort. Once the product is injected, the lidocaine starts numbing the area. Although you will feel some needle pokes, most people find that once they go through their initial injectable experience, they now know what to expect and are not as intimidated with future injections.

Restylane Injection Pain