1wk post, unhappy w/ my result. I feel my 425cc silicone implant looks smaller. I'm 5ft 132lbs 34A expecting to get 36D (photo)

My pre op chest width is 13 and I had mentor round high profile implants. I read that I should have waited for 3-6 months for the end result, right now my breast is swollen and I feel it's smaller than expected, so when the swelling has decreased in 3-6 months, then I think my breast will look smaller than now. Please help! I am confused.

Concerns after breast augmentation surgery…

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you are experiencing after breast surgery. Given that you are very fresh out of surgery, it is quite likely that you are experiencing significant “emotional ups and downs” unnecessarily. You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small. I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image. 

In other words, it is much too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed; your breasts will undoubtedly change over the course of the next several weeks/months.   The vast majority of patients with your concerns at your stage in the recovery process, turn out to be much happier two to three months after the procedure was performed.

For example, many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. 

Although online consultants cannot predict whether or not you will be pleased with the long-term outlook, of the procedure performed, it is safe to predict that the breasts will change. Do your best to stay emotionally even keeled. I would suggest continued patience and continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term regardless of the specific cup sizes achieved.

1 week post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast Implant Sizing

Multiple postings won't make you feel better. You need to be patient. Drop and Fluff, Drop and Fluff, Drop and Fluff. As for cup sizes, no one could possibly guarantee you a cup size, so you should not have been expecting anything of the sort. If you had done in-office sizing with these, you would have know what you would look like when you heal. As I said before, 425 cc implant in a 5 foot frame is not small.  Additionally, anatomic capacity and safety come first, and this may have been your anatomic limit. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast Implants Feel Too Small at 1 Week Post-Op #breastaugmentation

• You might be surprised how much your breast shape will change over the next couple months. 
  • I would try to be patient because you may end up being very happy with your implant size. 
  • Without looking at photos, I can't say for sure, but often times at one week after breast augmentation implants are still riding high.
  • With time the implants will settle into place, the lower pole of your breasts will fill out more, and you may be very happy. 
  • Hang in there, and definitely discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon!

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Unhappy with BA results one week post op

I am sorry you are not happy with your BA. Not knowing your history, pre op breasts dimensions and current pictures it is impossible to answer you question. You should bring up these issues with your surgeon. With that said, going from a A to D is a lofty goal, you may not have the right breast anatomy to become a D. In my opinion, a breast implant should never be wider than your pre op breast diameter. Also, "425 cc silicone implant" is not giving enough information (i.e was it low profile, moderate profile, high profile or ultra-high profile). Choosing the best breast implant "profile" for your anatomy in order to get you to your goal is VERY important. All of these concepts should of been discussed with you as part of your pre op assessment. Good luck.

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD