Can a tummy tuck be done if my BMI is 32?

Im 25 mother of two I am 5"2 and am 187 pounds im looking into getting a tt soon if possible.

Tummy

While a BMI at 32 is high, you can still undergo a Tummy Tuck and get a very nice result. If you has the ability to lose weight I would try to do this before your procedure as it would decrease the chances of post operative healing problems.

Tummy tuck results are best when our weight is normal

Thank you for your question about a tummy tuck.

How lovely to have 2 children. Congratulations.
  • You can have a tummy tuck at your weight
  • And depending on the pregnancy changes, you may be very happy with the result.
  • You will get a much better result if you can get down nearer a normal weight - if possible.
  • Why? When we are overweight, we carry lots of fat around our internal organs so the muscle repair of the tummy tuck cannot tighten the tummy the way it can when we are slimmer.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

You can have a Tummy Tuck but the results won't be as good as they could be if you have a large amount of visceral fat, that is fat behind the abdominal muscles. The TT has no effect on that fat and so you are still left with a round protruberant abdomen after the surgery. Now if you have a high BMI due to heavy hips and thighs and not due to abdominal fat, that's a different story.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Can a Tummy Tuck be done?

Yes, if you are in good health you can still have a tummy tuck but if you can get your weight as low as possible the risks of healing from a Tummy Tuck will go down significantly. The key to long standing success is to be at a stable weight. Make sure your lifestyle is such that you don't gain the weight back after if you do have surgery or you will likely be unhappy.  In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Many abdominoplasty's are done in high BMI patients.

It is not a perfect world and not everyone can be at ideal body weight before elective cosmetic surgery. Many patients have abdominoplasty's with high BMIs and are quite pleased with the result.

Yes, absolutely it can. Each surgeon will have a different cutoff for BMI over which they won't operate on a patient electively, however 32 should be in the range that most surgeons would be more than comfortable operating on someone. For the best results I would suggest losing as much of the excess weight as possible before your procedure and make sure to use a board-certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

BMI of 32 and tummy tucks

You can have a tummy tuck if you are able to maintain your current weight or if this is your plateau weight.  You will have an improvement in contours but if you want to maintain that result, you must keep your weight steady. 

Curtis Wong, MD

A tummy tuck can be done at your weight. There are several factors to consider when deciding whether to have a tummy tuck.

A tummy tuck will remove excess skin from your abdomen, and allow the surgeon to tighten the abdominal wall. Visceral fat, is the fat that is located around our abdominal organs. It sits behind your abdominal wall, and is not remove during a tummy tuck surgery. The only way to decrease the amount of visceral fat is weight loss. As the amount of visceral fat decreases the abdominal wall can be tightened more during a tummy tuck surgery. Also, additional weight loss helps the surgeon remove excess skin from the abdominal wall.

The most important factor when determining whether to have a tummy tuck procedure, is whether you are at a stable weight. If 187 pounds is your goal weight, then proceeding with a tummy tuck is reasonable. If you plan to lose weight, then it's worth waiting until you have completed the weight loss so that you can have the best, and longest lasting, results from your tummy tuck surgery.

Tummy tuck in overweight individuals

The simple answer to your question is yes.  A BMI of 32 is not a contraindication to tummy tuck.  However, many overweight individuals are unhappy with their results from tummy tuck.
Managing expectations in tummy tuck surgery can be difficult.  What I try to explain to my clients are:
1.  Tummy tuck is not a weight loss surgery.  It will remove excess skin and improve contour.  
2.  Best results (and happier patients) are seen after an individual achieves their weight loss goals and then pursues tummy tuck.

Good luck and I hope you achieve the look you desire!

W. Bryant Walker, MD
Jackson Physician

Abdominoplasty with a BMI of 32

At 25 if you are medically fit you can do a tummy tuck at a BMI of 32. It is not ideal however, and you will get a better result with less risk of complications if you can lose weight. At a higher BMI a lot more liposuction needs to be done to get a reasonable result. If you gain or lose weight after the liposuction you may not gain/lose the fat uniformly and thus it is best to be as close as possible to your long term target weight. Not everyone can lose the weight and many patients decide to have an abdominoplasty knowing that their BMI is less than ideal.

Ross Horton, MD, FRCSC
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon