Vast amount of bruising & skin discoloration remaining 5 weeks post mini tummy tuck with liposuction. Is this unusual? (Photo)

I'm curious how often this type of bruising and skin discoloration is still seen after five weeks post op. I had breast augmentation (healed normally), mini abdominoplasty, and liposuction of upper and lower abdomen on March 11, 2015. I had a small area of dehiscience of abdominal incision revised on 4/2/15, during revision approx 75cc of fluid removed. I am curious if there is anything I can do to minimize bruising/hyperpigmentation, or if I should be concerned something else is going on.

Wound dehiscence after a tummy tuck

Wound dehiscence after a tummy tuck may likely be due to the liposuction of your abdomen which was performed at the same time. If your incision is now healing well, then the discoloration should resolve over the course of the next month or so. Follow up with your plastic surgeon closely and follow his/her recommendations.

Dr.Bruno

Bruising after surgery

You likely nada collection of blood I your tissues that is coming to the surface as bruising. This usually resolves with time. Avoid exposure to sunlight and tanning beds until resolved.

Bruising After #TummyTuck and #Liposuction

From your photo, you have what appears to be hemosiderin staining of your tissues. This can result from bruising after any procedure and is usually slow to resolve. It will resolve with time, but it can be improved with the use of a Q-switched laser if you want to expedite the healing process. 

Continue to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you progress as planned. Best of luck, Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Bruising & Discoloration of Skin After Tummy Tuck

At this point in your surgery the discoloration is still a bit strong, but everyone heals differently.  You still have a significant amount of healing and the discoloration could completely resolve.  I tell my patients to wait at least 16 weeks after surgery before they judge "any" of the results, discoloration and bruising included.  The shape and contour of your tummy tuck appears to be very good!

Lots of trauma

The short answer is there probably isn't much you can do at this point to improve your bruising. It does illustrate why undermining the skin (mini abdominoplasty) and aggressive abdominal liposuction are sometimes better staged (not done at the same time). The blood supply to your skin is at this point a little beat up and it will take some time for bruising and swelling to resolve.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon