Restylane Silk swelling? (Photo)

1/2 syringe of restylane silk injected two days ago in chin due to dark areas, looked great right afterwards but now two days later I look like a clown. Feels like filler is next to chin area not in chin. will it go back to right afterwards look? Thank you!!!

Restylane SILK swelling

Dear lolo8921:

Having a long experience with many filler options, Restylane Silk has also surprised me with its' particular amount of fluid attraction. Thanks for sharing your photo!

All the hyaluronic acid (HA) gel fillers are long molecules with polar projections. It is this hydrophilic property that attracts polarized water and therefore obtain its volumizing effect.

A HA's duration and its projection versus fluid filling and smoothening attraction are dependent on their synthetic cross-link connections. Think of a ladder with a few rungs versus a lot of rungs and stacking them 3 dimensionally. Those with more rungs are more stable and project higher with smaller spaces for water to attach.

Those, like Silk have fewer rungs but more areas for water to be attracted. 

Massage will help to shrink the over-absorption of fluid. Otherwise, discuss this concern with your injector to achieve the goals you wish for. 

All the best!

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane Silk -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

It is common to get swelling after fillers into the lips. It is not normal to have irregularities or severe swelling. If you are unhappy you should speak to your physician and have the area injected with hyaluronidase, an enzyme that reverses the hyaluronic acid filler. For the next injections, consider cannula injection, this technique will limit the pain, swelling or bruising after the filler placement. It often takes up to two weeks for swelling to subside on its own. Find an expert in filler injections for your future treatments. Best, Dr. Emer.

Restylane Silk Swelling

Hi Lolo,

Restylane Silk is a great product, but it does swell for the first day or so more than other fillers.  Unlike other fillers, the more that you manipulate Restylane Silk, the more it swells.  You should speak with your injecting physician if you are still unhappy in 2 to 3 more days.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane silk

Filler always has a time of changes related to acute swelling (needle pokes) and then the swelling from the water retention and some bruising. I usually recommend waiting at least 7-10 days to see where you are before either worrying or trying to adjust anything.

Best of luck

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Restylane Silk

Hi Lolo.  When we trialed Restylane Silk, we also found that it had quite a bit of swelling, especially in the lips.  For this reason, it's probably best to wait several more days (at least a week) before making a determination of how things will look.

As an alternative, we prefer Radiesse or Restylane in the chin.  They last longer than Restylane Silk and does not move around as easily.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Swelling after Restylane Silk

Restylane silk is a great product of choice for the lips and around your lip area! Restylane silk will deliver those fuller lips you are looking for and smooth the lines around your mouth. After injecting filler especially the sensitive area around the lips you will be a swollen for 24-48 hours. This is very normal!  So plan to ice those areas and use your arnica medication! I hope this helps you on your journey!:)

Chaitali Nangrani, MD
The Woodlands Family Physician

Swelling is normal

Swelling is normal post-injection, every patient is different and may experience swelling a littler longer than others, it should start going down after 3 days. After the swelling has gone down, you should have the same result you did right after it was injected. If you are not happy with the end results, please revisit your doctor. Thank for sharing your question.

Sergio Alvarez, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Silk to chin

Swelling after Restylane Silk is completely normal and usually is maximal the first 24-48 hours. 

Because it is such a "thin" product, it attracts large amounts of water in the first 24 hours. There are several ways to minimize this and I tell all my patients to avoid doing the following:

1) Do not massage the area as this can increase swelling
2) Do not place ice over the area

Also, taking a Benadryl or alternative antihistamine that night helps to reduce the swelling.

Best of luck.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Silk - Swelling

I appreciate your question.
Yes it is common to have swelling post injection for several days. It can take up to 2-4 weeks for swelling to resolve in some. If you feel things have changed or are worsening, best to follow up with injecting MD to discuss treatment options.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Swelling after Restylane Silk

Thank you for sharing your photo and concerns.  I would definitely wait this out for a week or two more and then return to your injector for follow-up.  Restylane Silk does attract more water due to the finer particle size.  Thus it does require a more nuanced approach to injections.