Vol lift or voluma for lower face rejuvenation? (photos)

I have juvederm voluma in my cheeks and lines around my mouth and I love the results. My injector put 2 and a half syringes of volift in my lower face on either side. So 4 and a half in total in my lower face. I'm so very happy with the results and wanted her to use voluma but she said its not the right product for the lower face? I've been going to her for 5 years and would like another opinion. Thankyou

Doctor Answers 11

Voluma versus Vollure

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question beaniebaby2323. Vollure (Volift) is a hyaluronic acid filler designed to enhance the appearance of wrinkles and folds on the face. I agree that Voluma works best in the upper cheeks while Vollure is preferred in the lower face. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Voluma vs Volift in the lower face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.  Voluma and Volift (marketed as Vollure in the United States) are both hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers in Juvederm family of products.  Both products are smooth gels made from highly-crosslinked HA molecules, which makes them longer-lasting than some of the earlier HA products on the market.  Voluma is a thicker, more dense product, primarily designed for deep injections into the cheek and the midface, while Volift/Vollure is slightly thinner filler designed for more superficial injections in the skin.  

Most governmental regulatory agencies (including the US FDA) require scientific studies demonstrating the efficacy and safety of medications prior to their release.  As a result, these fillers are often only studied in only one particular part of the face, to consistently demonstrate their efficacy, even if they can be used safely and effectively in other areas as well.  It is ultimately the responsibility of your dermatologist or plastic surgeon to know the specific properties of each product and to thoroughly assess your facial structure and anatomy to determine which products would be best for you.  Even though Voluma is technically for the cheeks, I often use it in the lower face as well for certain patients, with excellent results.  It's always best to ensure that your treatments are done by an experienced cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  Best of luck!   

Faiyaaz Kalimullah, MD, FAAD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Lower face rejuvenation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. In my opinion, Voluma is best when injected deep on bone. That's probably why your surgeon elects not to treat the neck with Voluma. In the neck injections are usually more superficial than the cheek or the temple area. Other products might be more suitable for the neck area.

I hope this helps. Best wishes (Dr. Salameh, Plastic Surgeon, Bowling Green, KY)

You might also like...

Voluma and other fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Video should answer your question. A good injector would use a variety of fillers in different locations to give you the best possible results. I do use Voluma in the lower 1/3 but only on the chin and jawline- mandible areas. For the lower face, I do prefer a softer product in this area as we do not want to 'weigh' the area down. Be guided by your Specialist as she has done a great job with your face. All the best, Dr Davin S. Lim. Brisbane. Australia.

Vol lift or voluma for lower face rejuvenation?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It sound like you have a wonderful doctor who really knows how to make you happy.  My recommendation is to follow the advise of your doctor.  If he or she feels that Voluma is not the right product, most likely the injections need to be more superficial and Voluma is not designed for superficial injections. 

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Voluma for lower face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Voluma is indicated for deep injection in the cheek area.  It is not indicated for the lower face.
Good luck!

David Stoker, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 62 reviews

Sculptra posteriorly, Juvederm or Restalyne anteriorly

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
For the lower face, I recommend Sculptra posteriorly, Juvederm or Restalyne anteriorly.  Voluma is best for boney augmentation.  I wouldn't use it in soft tissue.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

Vol lift or voluma for lower face rejuvenation?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your questions and photograph. I agree with your injector that Voluma is best placed into the deeper structures of the face for added volume, improved tissue support, and lift.  This is typically in the cheeks, but can also be used in the temples and jawline.  Thinner gels are best used for the tissues around the mouth to restore volume and minimize creases.  Hope that this helps. 

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 80 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I appreciate your question.
Voluma is indicated for deeper structures such as cheek (upper face) augmentation.
Given that you are happy with your results, I would trust her.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Volift or Voluma for the lower face?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
While Volift is not yet FDA approved for use in the US, your injector is correct.  Volift should be used for the lower face and Voluma should be used for deeper augmentation of bony structures such as the cheekbones (FDA indication) or chin are (not-FDA approved).  Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.