Are there any known doctors in Ontario Canada who perform lipodema liposuction?

I was told by doctors all my life that there was no medical or surgical treatment that could rid me of or even improve the look of my "elephant ankles". I didn't even know that there was a medical term for my condition. I almost cried when I saw the episode on Celebrity Plastic Surgeons of Beverly Hills where Dr Amron helped that lovely lady with this condition. Is there any way to get a general sense of how much it would cost? Judging from what I've read, I believe that I have type lll lipodema.

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question.

Cost varies by geographic location, surgeon expertise, OR time, anesthesia, length of procedure etc.  I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery and who is also a member of The American Society of Plastic Surgery.  You can look at before/after pictures on their websites and Real Self pages as well as call their offices in advance and ask for quotes prior to scheduling consultations.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Liposuction for lipedema

Thank you for asking about your lipedema and liposuction.

• This is a very troubling issue because heavy legs are a real problem for many women.
  • Lipedema is (probably) an inherited tendency to excessive fat in the legs with some lymphatic abnormalities.
  • I say probably because a lot is written on-line about lipedema but almost nothing in the medical literature. 
  • Type III lipedema would not, I believe, apply to you - it appears to be used to mean Madelung's disease. This is Bilateral symmetric lipomatosis. It affects the upper body and it returns despite liposuction.
  • In contrast, lipedema appears to be permanently improved or even 'cured' after liposuction.
  • Since liposuction is so effective, it suggests that the lymphatic abnormalities are caused by the excess  fat and that the fat, not abnormal lymphatics is the underlying problem.
  • You should be able to find a plastic surgeon near you who is experienced in small cannula liposuction.
  • This will reduce the bulk of your legs and should give you permanent improvement.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction for Lipedema -- NEEDS EXPERT IN WAL, VASER, POWER ASSISTED and Multiple Stage Procedure

I suggest you find an expert in this type of liposuction as it is completely different (medical>>cosmetic) and needs a combination approach for the best long term outcomes (to stop progression).  Best, Dr. Emer.