Can you tell if I have Lipedema? What would the price be for a surgery to fix this? (Photo)

I've tried everything to reduce my thighs. From diets, exercises, starvation, injecting myself. Nothing works. I can lose weight above the waist, & be a "normal size", but my lower half never responds. My thighs are painful, I cannot lay on my sides. Last week I ran across an article about Lipedema & felt like this could be what I have & would like some clarification? I live in a small rural areas without any specialist in this area. Any info or doctor suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can you tell if I have Lipedema? What would the price be for a surgery to fix this?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Do you have lipedema?

Lipedema is often underdiagnosed. The condition varies substantially in how it affects people.

Most patients with Drew lipedema have a slightly different for distribution then your own.

Generally more fat is seen on the lower part of the thigh and on the knees.  It often down to the ankles.

regardless the treatment is liposuction.

Lipedema typically worsens with age and with weight gain.
If you have two lipedema then you could potential he have a worsening condition with or without treatment.

Consults a board-certified plastic surgeon to find out what your best options are.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

It may be lipedema ir normal fat deposits. Either way, it can be treated with liposuction. See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Liposuction or treatment for lipedema?

Thank you for asking about your hips.

• You appear to carry a great deal of fat on your hips -
  • This can be removed with liposuction and I think you will like the result a lot.
  • Unless you are severely underweight, the fat in this area will not go away.
  • Lipedema to my understanding is heaviness of the lower legs including the ankles and feet -
  • So you do not have lipedema - you have inherited heavy hips.
  • Please see a plastic surgeon as near to you as possible for a consultation.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

Lipedema?

If it is lipedema or just fat, it can be treated with liposuction. You would have to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.