Would diffuse thinning occur all over when suffering from AGA?

If a woman has AGA does she get diffuse thinning all over with temples bad or is there a pattern with part line get bigger

Doctor Answers 4

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride, Spironolactone

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I suggest a biopsy to rule out autoimmune, infectious and telogen causes of hair loss.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Androgenetic alopecia in women

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
AGA can take various forms in women, from hairline/temple recession, to typical "female pattern hair loss" affecting the top and back of the head, to diffuse thinning over the top, back, and sides. It sounds as if you should see a hair loss expert who can diagnose you and provide some therapeutic options, possibly even including finasteride if you are post-menopausal (either naturally or surgically). In the meantime, if you haven't already discovered camouflage products like Toppik and Hair Illusion, you might want to check out the YouTube videos and give them a try.Thanks for your question--hope this was helpful.Dr. Ballon

Jonathan Ballon, MD (in memoriam)
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

AGA in women

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you really have genetic hair loss, there is wide variation in women. Some don't have it but in the front, some in the front and top and some all over the head including what we call the 'donor' area. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Thinning in women

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Patterned and diffuse loss are possible in women. Diffuse thinning in womem is more common than men.

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Vancouver Dermatologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.