Why do breasts feel like they are getting pulled when doing push ups?

I had my breast augmentation July 15th 2014. I have 450cc silicon under the muscle. When I do push ups the gap in between my breast feels really tight and it feels like my breast are really shifting to my arm pits. I understand when doing chest excersizes my implants will move. But it feels very uncomfortable and I have to stop. I can't even do one full push up because it feels very uncomfortable. No pain, they just feel super tight. Is this normal? Will the tension ever get better?

Normal and will subside

The most common placement of breast implants is in the submuscular tissue plane.  Your description of the sensations you experience is typical for implants placed under the pectoralis major muscle.  At 3 months postop from your surgery, you remain in the early phase of healing.  Stabililty of the implant placement occurs 6-12 months after surgery.  With your implant sizes, you likely have a beautiful, fully developed chest and therefore, I would recommend avoidance of exercises designed to isolate and develop the pectoralis muscles.  Over time, the implants will stabilize and the sensations you are experiencing will subside.  
If you enjoy weight lifting and cross training, you can still perform exercises for core muscle groups, bicep, tricep, thighs, legs, back(including latissmus) and shoulders.  You have very little to be gained by performing bench presses, pushups or pectoralis flies.  If you perform yoga, you can substitute other positions for the push up and planks.  Further advice can be obtained from exercise trainers or physiotherapists.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Revision surgery

The breasts are being pulled because of the inadequate release of the muscles that is leading to animation deformity.  It is relatively easy to fix with a periareolar remove/replace with capsulectomy (scar removal) and muscle release.  

Moving implants with muscle contraction

It is quite normal to have some movement of the implants with heavy pectoralis muscle contraction if your implants are under the muscle.  Usually by 3 months things have settled down enough to allow you to do chest exercises.  Perhaps you can build up to push-ups by starting with lighter exercises, like chest-flys using light weights.  I would also touch base with your PS about your concerns.

Breasts move with push-ups

Thank you so much for your question about your breast implants.

Your implants are under the pectoral muscles - and these muscles move when you do push ups.
So the contracting muscle is pushing your implants out to the side. 
You should return to your surgeon because it should not be painful and suggests that the implants may be too large for you and are pushing up against the under-arm.

Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Here’s hoping you find this helpful. Have a great day!

Why do my breasts feel like they are being pulled when doing push ups?

Breast implants are often placed submuscularly, that is under the pectoralis major muscle. This muscle extends from the medial chest wall to the humerus or upper arm bone. When the muscle is contracted, the implant may move or feel as though it is being pulled. 

Charles G. Polsen, MD
League City Plastic Surgeon

It is normal for implants to pull during chest exercise considering you did go under the muscle. As you are only 3 months post op it may take a bit longer for things to heal. You should adress your concerns with your plastic surgeon if it continues to bother you. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Implant movement after breast augmentation

Not to worry  It is quite normal to have discomfort and implant movement, especially when performing exercise in which you are isolating the contraction of the pectoralis muscle.  Over time while the implants will still move however the discomfort and tightness will abate.

Robert Zubowski, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon