My top right wisdom tooth is broken

Hi my top right wisdom tooth is broke and sum left in the gum and the gum is growing over it I have to go to the dentist tomorrow cause it's painful but there is no way I'm being put to sleep can they take the rest of the tooth out with out putting me to sleep and just numbing the gum

Tooth extraction

Hi, 

Even if your dentist is willing to extract your tooth with you awake with just numbing your gum, it can still be excessively painful and uncomfortable.  To have this tooth removed they may have to split the gum that is growing over it, it may be a good idea to consider being put to sleep for this extraction. 

Chicago Dentist

Being put to sleep is not necessary for wisdom tooth extraction

I have taken many upper wisdom teeth out, and I have not put any of my patients to sleep.  I usually just numb the area.  For patients who are more fearful, I will either use nitrous or oral sedation.  Being put to sleep is up to you.  If you decide that you need to be put to sleep, then you will need to go to a specialist since not many general dentist will provide that option.

Jean-Paul Banh, DDS
Federal Way Dentist

Wisdom tooth extraction

You are correct, your dentist can remove your tooth with only local anesthesia. Putting the patient to sleep or light sedation is used to relax the patient and generally makes the procedure easier for both the dentist and the patient. You can also use nitrous oxide (laughing gas) with local anesthesia which leaves no long term lasting effects. This method works quite well to control nervousness.  Good luck!

Joseph H. Hidalgo, DDS
Plano Dentist