I take Suboxone(blocks opiates). I'm getting mommy makeover soon but am nervous about pain management. What can I take for pain?

I am going in for a mommy makeover in a few weeks. I take Suboxone, I'm very nervous about pain Management. My dr said not to worry. I have been reading horror stories about surgeries while on Suboxone. Have any of you had patients on Suboxone ? Do I need to be nervous?

Pain management and mommy makeover.

We see this problem once or twice a year and the patients do fine. We use a pain pump for the breasts and another for the TT and the patient coordinates other pain meds with their pain management physician.

Managing Pain

Thank you for your question. This is a great question for you to discuss directly with your plastic surgeon. He or she will appreciate the open communication and will develop a plan that will work for both of you to feel more at ease. Your surgeon will most likely involve your pain/addiction specialist regarding pain medications. If you still have questions then consider asking how your plastic surgeon has dealt with this similar situation in the past. My best to you. –Dr. Coan

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Pain management

Ive taken care of patients in the past with similar issues
pain pumps or more recently exparel work great.
I will coordinate with pain mgmt dr
Im also more inclined to use ibuprofen even though there is a greater risk of bleeding.

hope this helps!

dr schwartz

Mommy make-over on a narcotic blockers

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over.

• First of all, have your pain management specialist talk to your surgeon to figure out the best approach for your pain management.
  • Second, I strongly recommend that your surgeon use Exparel on your tummy tuck muscles - it will greatly reduce the pain for the first 2 - 3 days.
  • Also, if you are having implants under the muscle, Exparel may be used in those muscles too.
  • Or ask your surgeon about putting implants (if you are having them) over the muscle.
  • Otherwise your surgeon can inject marcaine into the muscles during surgery - it will give you 4-12 hours of pain relief which isn't much.
  • Pain pumps in my experience don't work predictably - but are certainly a good idea if Exparel is not available.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Pain management and mommy makeover.

Nonnarcotic pain medication is available for mommy makeover patients. Often times this is coordinated with a pain management specialist particularly if you are presently under the care of such an individual.

Pain Management after your Mommy Makeover

Pain varies per person and medication to control #discomfort will be provided. Healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation in the breasts may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Tingling, burning or shooting pains in the breasts will disappear with time and should not alarm you. It is simply a result of the regeneration of your sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's permission may help.

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined

Pain specialist and Exparel

Thank you for the question.  Your pain/addiction specialist should be involved in the this process and can coordinate with your plastic surgeon regarding pain medications.  Delicate tissue handling during surgery as well as the use of exparel especially for the tummy tuck will be of great benefit.  Prior patients with similar situations have done great and so can you.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Pain control for surgery

Pain pumps or Exparel are excellent for pain control in patients with you similar situation.  Check with your doctor to see if these are options for you.