Waxing after transaxillary breast augmentation, how long do I have to wait?

Waxing and transax incision

Usually it is best to wait until the incisions well healed. Best to ask your surgeon his personal preference.

Best answered by your surgeon

Only your surgeon knows what type of sutures he/she used and how you are healing.  It would be irresponsible for any of us on the internet to answer this specific of a question.  Call your surgeon's office or email them for best advice.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Waxing after surgery

You’ll need to wait until your incisions close fully. This can take about a month or so if your recovery is going well. However, it’s best to ask your surgeon as they are more familiar with your situation. 

Waxing after transaxillary BA

Thank you for your question.  It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have. I would wait at least 6 weeks until your incisions have closed and healed. I wouldn’t recommend doing it any sooner than this because it can cause irritation to the incision and possible infection. 
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Waxing after transaxillary breast augmentation, how long do I have to wait

I would suggest waiting at least 2 weeks and preferably 4 weeks before waxing. Doing it sooner might irritate the incision and that is something you want to avoid so it heals as well as possible

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Hi BA,   I tell patients that are concerned to wax prior and then don't do anything again until week 3-4, as long as it's fully closed.  We do over 600 implants each year, and most are through the transaxillary approach. See the video and article below on the armpit approach.  The Aesthetic Surgery Journal published an article several years ago proving that the armpit incision has less bacteria than the breast fold incision or the nipple incision.  This paper, published on April 26, 2011 by Dr. Sophie Bartsich, is from the prestigious New York Presbyterian Hospital and Columbia University Medical Center and is titled “The Breast: A Clean-Contaminated Surgical Site”.  The investigators proved scientifically that the nipple region demonstrated a bacteria concentration which was five times higher than the breast fold site which demonstrated a concentration four times higher than the armpit (axillary) area!  Much has been published in our plastic surgery journals on the armpit breast augmentation in recent years. Another study which is in the link below from the Aesthetic Surgery Journal showed a lower infection rate than normal in 2,000 patients undergoing an armpit (axillary) breast augmentation.  These Plastic Surgery Journals are “peer-reviewed” and edited, they are the gold-standard in our field as being valid science.  You may review the web reference below from the Aesthetic Surgery Journal and you will see the axillary BA method outlined.  The website below also has videos showing patients with axillary incisions demonstrating the quick recovery routine postoperatively.      Yes, you can expect a quick recovery with the axillary approach. It is a surgical procedure that uses special instruments and techniques to minimize tissue damage and avoid touching the ribs. It causes far less trauma to surrounding tissue than traditional approaches, and it dramatically reduces pain, suffering, and recovery time.      Quick-recovery BA is not a “gimmick.”  Much has been published in our plastic surgery journals on the quick recovery approach in recent years.  These specialized techniques actually speed recovery and get you back to your daily routine, kids and work.  A recent study followed over 2,800 BA patients for this recovery program showing over 90% of the QR patients returned to normal daily activities within 24 hours.  Some even went out the evening of their surgery.   Because these PS journals are “peer-reviewed” and edited, they are the gold-standard in our field as being valid science. Therefore, these are sound techniques, not marketing hype.       The main concerns aren't the incision or the pocket placement, but what maneuvers are done during the procedure and how fast you start your postop exercises.  It is like a marathoner.  The worst thing a marathoner can do is to lie down and rest at the finish.  You would be the same right after your surgery, when you would want to keep moving, keep loose and do your stretching exercises. If you want to look at the web reference below from the Aesthetic Surgery Journal, you will see this recovery method outlined.  The website below also has videos showing patients with various incisions demonstrating this program postoperatively.