How many cycles of CoolSculpting is too much to do at once? I am getting different opinions. (Photo)

One provider has proposed 8 regular cycles plus two cool max primarily on my abdomen and upper back to be done on the same day. The other provider generally doesn't do more than 4 - 6 cycles on one area on the same day. How much is too much? Is there an increased risk for nerve pain with so much done on the abdomen at once?

No limit to the number of Coolsculpting treatments per day

The number of Coolsculpting treatments you get in one day really depends on your pain tolerance and the capacity of the clinic that is performing the treatment.  You will have to realize that all the areas you have treated will be sore and maybe bruised for days to weeks.  Some providers may also have limited scheduling capacity to accomodate so many treatments, whereas some providers may have more than 1 machine (sometimes coined Dualsculpting) to cut your treatment time in half.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Safe to CoolSculpt All Day!

We have had several patients have 10 areas treated in one day with no issues at all. It is rare for patients to experience severe discomfort after the treatment, and we have not found that having multiple areas treated at once increases the discomfort at all. The only problem with doing that much at once is sitting still for such a long period of time! We do allow for some extra time in between sessions for the patient to stand up and move around a bit before we start treatment in the next areas. Make sure when you are scheduling that you ask for a few minutes in between to stretch your legs!

Sue Ellen Cox, MD
Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon

Safe to CoolSculpt All Day!

Sue Ellen Cox, MD
Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Results versus Hi Definiton Liposuction

See that many applications of coolsculpting can give you a hi definition body shape with VASER HI DEF. I suggest you see an expert in body shaping.  Yes there is little downtime with coolsculpting but it can never give you what a VASER HI DEF procedure can give you in terms of skin tightening, cellulite improvement and body shape.  Best, Dr. Emer.

CoolSculpting for fat reduction in my NYC practice often uses more than one applicator, new CoolAdvantage is faster

Depending on the individual's anatomy, multiple applicators may be used on the same day. Some times the applicators purposely overlap to some extent and that may make the sensitivity, that is temporary, slightly greater. It is more of a function of time, and patient's patience, to determine how many applicators can be done in one day. In our NYC practice we have multiple CoolSculpting machines and can offer our patients dual side treatments such as the love handles and saddlebags (outer thighs) at the same time to cut down the time. Some of my patients who require six applicators on the abdomen can have two at the same time provided the treated areas are far enough apart that the applicators are able to effectively treat the area without being obstructed by the second applicator.

Our practice is fortunate to be the first in NYC to have CoolAdvantage which is a new applicator for CoolSculpting that treats a larger area, in just slightly more than half the time of the former applicators, and with greater comfort. This helps lessen the total treatment time.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

What number of coolsculpting cycles is reasonable in one session?

From a safety perspective, you can do an unlimited number of cycles in a day.  However, we want the procedure to be comfortable so it doesn't interfere with your daily life.  Generally the area treated with a single cycle feels somewhat sore at first and then a bit numb and/or itchy a week or two later.  But treating more cycles/areas at once means more areas that are sore or funny feeling so it can become uncomfortable and disruptive at a certain point.  That's why in my office, we limit treatment to 4 or 5  cycles in one day.  Since we have two devices, that is often done with two cycles done at once.  Patients return at one to two weeks for additional cycles.  

I hope that answer is helpful.  Best wishes

That's a lot of Coolsculpting!

That's a long hard day of CS.  Multiple and overlapping treatments on the abdomen seem to predispose to neuropathic pain. Multiple SculpSure treatments are often better tolerated. At some point, liposuction is more efficient economically and time-wise, if you're a good surgical candidate.

That's a lot of Coolsculpting!

Cool Sculpting

I do not believe there is any study that answers your question. I too have concerns about the body's ability to eliminate the broken down fat cells' waste.  I have not seen this happen with cool sculpting, but I have with liposuction.  
For larger liposuction cases, or to be super safe with multiple CS treatments cycles in one day, we pretreat the groin and axilla with Venus Freeze lymphatic massage before and then after treatments.  If your Plastic Surgeon does not do that, yet you remain concerned, you can find practitioners of manual lymphatic massage in any city if you want to be proactive.  
To be more clear, there is no reason to have concerns about multiple CS cycles in one day as far as we know.  

Cool Sculpting

Coolsculpting Treatment Sessions

Good question.  At our Lipo Spa clinics, we tend to be conservative and aim for client comfort and satisfaction over the long term.  With that in mind, if you've never had Coolsculpting before, I'd recommend doing one smaller round of treatments concentrating on your "primary" area of concern (i.e.- abdomen).  This may be 2-4 sessions in one day which is very manageable.  Wait six weeks or so until you begin to see results and then you can determine whether or not to do the other areas.  Best of luck, Doc Halliday

Douglas Halliday, PhD, MD - Account Suspended
Syracuse Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting Treatment Sessions

Syracuse Facial Plastic Surgeon

How many cycles of CoolSculpting per session

There is no limit on how many cycles can be done during a CoolSculpting session, but sometimes it might be hard for people to sit for a longer appointment.  We offer DualSculpting at our office, which allows us to cut down about 50% of the appointment time.  Most likely it is fine to do all 8 treatments in the same day, but if you're looking to retreat some areas then you will want to wait at least 30 days to retreat.  There is not an increased risk for nerve pain necessarily, but if you are doing that many treatments on the abdomen there is a greater area to possibly have the nerve pain in.  From my experience the CoolMax tends to have more late onset nerve pain because it is pulling in twice the amount of tissue.

All Day CoolSculpting

While it is safe to have 10 cycles (10 hours) of CoolSculpting in one day, we wouldn't do it in our practice. Most people don't do well being immobilized for that long, even when they can watch movies or binge on Netflix in our treatment room. With the new CoolAdvantage applicators, treatment time is reduced to 35 minutes per cycle (or 45 minutes for CoolAdvantage Plus), making multiple treatments more tolerable. We generally don't recommend treatment for more than 4 hours in a single day, but have done longer in special circumstances. Furthermore, someone who is a candidate for that number of cycles in a single round of CoolSculpting may be a candidate for [VASER] Liposuction as a cost-effective alternative yielding more dramatic results.

All Day CoolSculpting