My second piercing on my left earlobe has been split. Can I go to the hospital to get stitches to repair it? (Photo)

I received a second piercing on both ears at Claire's but the second hole on my second earlobe was pierced too low and as a result the it split. Should I just get the above area pierced or can I go to a hospital to receive stitches to close it. Please help me I feel so insecure about this issue.

Ear lobe repair

Earlobe repair is a very common procedure. Frequently, we have patients who will have the procedure done the same day as the consultation. Typically, the cost is between $450-850 per earlobe, depending on the severity and the length of the procedure.You may be able to find a doctor who will do this under insurance but i am not aware of any.The length of time the ears have been gauged should have no effect on the procedure. As long as the tissue is no longer irritated or inflamed, there is no reason not to give it a try. Gauged ears are sometimes more difficult than some other earlobe repairs since the tissue is so over stretched, but we are still able to create a natural looking earlobe. You can get your ear re pierced about 6 weeks after and should be included in the pricing. Shop around in your area and see if you can find a plastic surgeon in your budget

Earlobe repair

Seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon as pricing varies from surgeon to surgeon. Price can range from $400-$800. You will be able to re-pierce your ears 2 months after you have the earlobe repair done. Good luck, Dean Vistnes. 

Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #earloberepair

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Split Earlobe

The only reason to go to an ER or urgent care center (or your primary care doc) is if you suspect an infection (redness/tenderness/drainage) for antibiotics.  Otherwise, I would let this settle down for at least 4-6 weeks following the injury (3-6 months even better), and then have a board-certified plastic surgeon excise the area as a wedge, and the repair it in layers as a front-to-back wrap-around incision under local anesthesia.  If you want it re-pierced in the same area, you usually have to wait at least 3 months for that to fully heal (and I would have the same surgeon do it, often included in the original repair fee . . . )  Good luck! 

Piercing split - What to do?

A torn earlobe is best treated in the office of a Facial Plastic or Plastic Surgeon who should be able to treat it under local anesthesia.  An ER or hospital may not be the best choice and may result in a less than desirable scar.  After earlobe repair the ears can usually be pierced at a later date, typically 6-8 weeks later.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

My second piercing on my left earlobe has been split. Can I go to the hospital to get stitches to repair it?

Hello Princess_AB,

This may be a little late, but if you went to a hospital they would not likely treat that.  The reason is it is not an urgent issue and there is no consequence other than cosmetic for not being repaired.  They would likely just refer you to someone in the community for later repair.  The treatment is to close your original piercing and then pierce your ear in a new location.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Split earlobe

Stitches alone will not solve the problem as skin  has grown into the split.

Going to the ER for this problem is not your best option.

Try a qualified plastic surgeon who will remove the skin in the split and then repair it in separate layers.

You can get the earlobe re-pierced in the future when your plastic surgeon gives the okay. He/she will likely have you avoid being too closed to the repaired area.

Good luck!

Frederick K. Park, MD
Rocky Mount Plastic Surgeon

See a board certified plastic surgeon

i repair these in the office in 30 minutes. you can re-pierce it 6 weeks later. 
it will be a cosmetic procedure under local in the office. you can return to 
work immediately afterwards.

good luck

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Not the hospital

No need to go to the hospital. Best option is for it to settle down a little and then find a plastic surgeon to repair this for you. It will take a small amount of time and local anesthetic to fix this. Take a break from earrings for about a year on that side, and then you can consider re-piercing.

Ear lobe repair

Unfortunately the ER is not the place to get this fixed! You will need a formal coloboma or earlobe repair.  This can be done under local anesthesia but will be a cosmetic procedure.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to help you with this issue.

Jacob Bloom, MD

Split ear lobe repair

Thank you for you sharing your question and photos. Split earlobes are very common, however I would
not advise going to the emergency room solely for the repair. Instead, I recommend seeing a board
certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who will be able to elegantly bring the skin back together under local anesthesia.

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS