Minimal results after 1 treatment of Sculpsure - should I have a second treatment?

I had Sculpsure on my outer thighs 15 weeks ago. The setting was 1.4 throughout the treatment, it was very painful, and the area was tender for weeks afterward, with lots of palpable lumps. Yet, for all that, I've seen a minimal reduction in thigh circumference (1/4"). My lovely doctor has offered to treat the area again at a very, very reduced price. But is it worth doing again? Am I more likely to see results a second time? Or can I reasonably assume I'm just a poor responder?

Painful SculpSure Treatment at 1.4, Lumps Afterward. Should I Have Another Treatment?

The settings start at 1.1 and go up as tolerated. If the treatment was causing a lot of discomfort at 1.4 it would be recommended to lower the setting until there is tolerable if any discomfort. More heat would correlate with a higher risk of lumps. In the FDA trials, nodules occurred 23 % of patients for the abdomen and 12% for the flanks. The duration of lumps was 35-139 days for the abdomen, and 38 to 138 days for the flanks. The thighs were not done as the FDA approval was for the abdomen and flanks.
It would seem reasonable to wait until the lumps have entirely resolved before having another treatment. Consider settings that do not cause pain if you do it again.  It does not have to cause pain to get a good result.
As far as number of treatments, our standard protocol when there is a fair amount of fat present is two treatments at six week intervals to see optimal results.

Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Repeat treatments can help

Repeat treatments with SculpSure can provide additional fat removal.  Your doctor is trying to help and the secondary treatments would be beneficial.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely!

We find that a second treatment greatly improves the end result.  I would definitely take your doctor up on their offer!
Dr. C

Thomas Crabtree, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Should I have a second SculpSure treatment?

Yes, I often recommend two treatments per area,5-6 weeks apart, for optimum results. Best, Dr. Yegiyants 

Sara Yegiyants, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Minimal Response?

Thank you for your question.  I am assuming that you did see some response with the first treatment.  Hopefully, this was notable on good quality before-and-after photos.  In people who have an adequate layer of fat, I have not had a patient with no response, but some do get more of a response than others.  In studies, SculpSure was shown to reduce fat in treated areas by 24% on average, but that includes hundreds of procedures with a range of results - so some people may have only had a 10% reduction, while others may have had a 35% reduction.  If you did get some improvement, then it would be reasonable to assume that a repeat treatment will also give you some reduction too, most likely not any better than the first, however, but the results should be additive.  Best of luck!

W. John Bullis, MD
Bellevue OB/GYN

Sculpsure treatments

Yes for sure, you should undergo another treatment, especially if you have seen a response from the first one. We routinely suggest at a minimum of two sessions to obtain ideal results. Good luck!

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Should second SculpSure treatment be done?

In my experience, the results from SculpSure are improved with multiple treatment sessions.  So, I would say it would be worthwhile to treat your outer thighs again.  Each treatment session will destroy fat cells that were not destroyed in prior treatments. 

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculpsure of Thighs

I would definitely recommend a second treatment.  Each treatment with sculpsure has a maximal reduction of 22%.  Also be sure to drink lots of fluids and be active after the procedure to promote lymphatic absorption of the fat calls that have been killed.

Susan Chapman, MD
Kailua OB/GYN

SculpSure protocol is 2 treatments 6 weeks apart

Having lumps is completely normal and temporary. It will take some time for them to go away, but they definitely will. I would encourage you to massage the area. In regards to treating the thigh, I did not have any patient who had a significant improvement after a single treatment on the thigh area. The protocol calls for a minimum of 2 sessions at least 6 weeks apart. You should definitely have the second treatment and then wait 12 weeks for the optimal results to show up. You may even need a third session. You do not need to be so uncomfortable at 1.40 settings, you can definitely go to lower setting. Make sure you do not come on or close your menstrual cycle as your sensitivity is increased. Second time around there is much less discomfort as you already know what to expect. Provided you stayed the same weight. Hope this helps. Best, Dr.Avaliani

Anna Avaliani, MD
New York Physician

SculpSure- Treat To Complete

I would recommend lowering your settings. The inner thigh is very sensitive but you should not be experiencing this much pain. I would absolutely recommend doing a second treatment. In many patients it is treat to complete. Each treatment destroys 24% of the fat cells. A patient with a higher BMI is most likely going to need multiple treatments. 

Patricia Faraz, MD
Ladera Ranch OB/GYN