Transparent teeth? (photos)

My front teeth seem to be very transparent at the bottom. I understand that front teeth are a little transparent at the bottom, but mine seems a little excessive. The transparency covers around 1/4 of my front teeth. Since polishing my a hygienist they seem more trasparent. They also feel weak, and i can see small lines/fractures on the edges of my front teeth. I'm worried my teeth will continue to fracture, and eventually chip or break off. I'm only 18 years old. Thanks for any help!

Transparent teeth

Thank you for your question!  Some transparency on the edges of the teeth is what makes teeth look natural.  However, teeth may become more transparent over time because it is getting thin or worn down.  This can be due to any number of things including but not limited to how your teeth come together when you bite down, if you grind your teeth at night or the type of diet you have (ie.  high in citrus).  Talk to your dentist about what you can do to keep your teeth strong.  Even a referral to an orthodontist or invisalign may help correct your bite.Good luck!

Translucent teeth and wear

Anatomically, the central incisors are translucent in the incisal 1/4 of the tooth because there is no dentin in that area. Since this area is predominantly enamel, light passes into and through this leaving a translucent appearance. In your case, however, you have an issue with your lower incisors, and they are wearing against your upper incisors which is causing enamel to thin out and chip away.  This is leaving an even more translucent appearance. You're going to need to address and treat the orthodontic problem that is going on with your lower teeth to keep from excessively wearing your upper teeth away.Hope this is helpful. Douglas Jopling,  DDS Dallas,  Texas area