Will a reverse Tummy tuck smooth stomach after bad Lipo? (photos)

It's been over a year since I had lipo that left my stomach looking uneven. I'm wondering if a reverse tummy tuck hiding the scars under my breasts is a good solution and will it smooth most everything out or will some fat grafting also be likely?

TT 1 year Post op: Lipo/fat grafts?

Hello, thank you for your question. It does not appear that you have loose skin to perform any type of TT. I recommend you see your plastic surgeon to be evaluated and to discuss your concerns and desires. Your PS may determine you need lipo to remove some fat and then some fat grafting to smooth indented areas. See what your PS recommends and best wishes to you!

#TT  #lipo  #fatgraft

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information with pictures as well... A tummy tuck is the surgical procedure in which excess skin is removed, and the weakened muscles of the abdominal wall are strengthened. Other defects can also be corrected, such as decreasing excess fat and eliminating scars and stretch marks below the navel caused by pregnancy, aging, and massive weight loss among other factors. If you want to get rid of your extra skin or smooth your stomach, this procedure will help you with liposuction on your waist and muscle repair..

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Reverse tummy tuck not recommended

I don’t recommend a "reverse tummy tuck” because you don’t appear to have any sagging skin that could be removed. I think first, your surgeon should assess your stomach contour to determine what’s causing the lumps and bumps. If it’s pockets of fat, liposuction can be performed to smooth them down. Fat grafting is also an option to raise any depressed areas.

TT is not the answer

Hi, thanks for your pictures and for your inquiry. I believe that a tummy tuck will not help you in your case. Instead try fat grafting and liposuction to smooth the area out. Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Over liposuctioned abdomen

This is certainly a tough situation when too much fat is removed.  It is necessary to leave a layer of contouring fat to yield an aesthetic abdomen.  In your situation an examination is needed to determine the thickness of your residual fat layer.  It is possible that tightening of the skin may be of some benefit.  A reverse abdominoplasty is rarely used but can be helpful if the laxity is entirely above the umbilicus.  In your case I would not think this is the case.  Other treatment options would be directed smoothing using Smartlipo and possible fat grafting the remaining contour deformities.  

It really depends on what's going on

If you have residual fat that can be smoothed out with liposuction, that may be a helpful procedure.  You can certainly then use the fat harvested to fill in some of the indentations that you see.  Likely a combination of liposuction and fat grafting will be your best bet.  I actually have seen great results from a patient that had contour issues in her upper abdomen after liposuction and the surgeon performed a reverse tummy tuck.  Unfortunately, that isn't the solution for you because the majority of your contour issues are below your belly button.

Will a reverse Tummy tuck smooth stomach after bad Lipo? Will a reverse Tummy tuck smooth stomach after bad Lipo?

Agree with previous expert responder of trying fat grafting innate least 3 sessions first before reverse TT... 

Fat grafting vs reverse TT

I would not recommend a revers tummy tuck. Your irregularities would be better treated with a combination of liposuction and fat grafting to the areas that are irregular in the hopes of "evening out" your result. After that heals if you find skin redundancy - which in this photo you do not seem to have, then you could entertain a traditional tummy tuck.

Asaf Yalif, MD
Roswell Plastic Surgeon

Reverse TT not advisable

Hi. A reverse TT will not fix your problem and the scar is much worse than a traditional TT. Your skin laxity does not look bad enogh to warrant a TT. My advice would be to have fat grafting and a small amount of liposuction to smooth the lumps and bumps. 

Will a reverse Tummy tuck smooth stomach after bad Lipo?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  A reverse TT involves a rather large incision along the lower portion of both your breasts and breastbone and is normally reserved for patients that have undergone massive weight loss (>100lbs) and have excess skin and adipose tissue in their upper abdomen.  Most of your issues are limited to the lower abdomen, therefore a traditional TT would be a better option.  That said you do not appear to have much, if any skin excess, which would make a TT difficult to perform.  Depending on an in-person examination, you may need either conservative liposuction to try and improve the undulations, or fat grafting into the deeper regions, to help smooth the contours.