Day 6 Post Op Breast Augmentation with Silicone - is intense burning and numbness on only one breast normal?

I thought I was starting to feel better but at day 5 I started getting a burning sensation down the back of my right arm and into my arm pit. Now anytime I lay down the burning pain is unbearable. Also I notice the side of my right breast is completely numb while my left feels more normal. I know that during healing weird pains and sensations will arise but making sure it's not something to worry about? Thank you.

Burning and numbness after BA

It is not uncommon to experience some burning and numbness after breast augmentation, especially in the first 1-2 weeks.  It is also normal to experience symptoms on one side and not the other, although this may change and at some point you may feel things on the other side and not the one currently bothering you.  This will drastically improve over the first 4 weeks.

Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Breast Pain after Augmentation

Breast pain after augmentation, especially when it is associated with a burning sensation is common. Nerves get pulled during the procedure and almost always return back to their normal function. Having a nerve injury that is permanent is unusual and you will likely not know unless your symptoms do not resolve over several months.

1 week post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow theformation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Day 6 Post Breast Augmentation-Intense Burning & Numbness w/One Breast

It is still quite early in your recovery. Your #healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some #swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. #Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you and indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's instructions may help. However, #textured implants do not require breast #massage and if massage is recommended, you will be informed more about it during your post-operative visit.
Further, if you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

These weird burning sensations are common

You are most likely experiencing mild nerve damage or nerve compression.  Many of my patients describe some level of nerve symptoms during their recovery.  Hopefully, this will resolve within a few months.  You should discuss it with your plastic surgeon.

John Zannis, MD
New Bern Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Sensation Loss

Nerve compression or damage can cause the sensations you describe and luckily, they will typically resolve over a period of 3-6 months as inflammation leaves and nerves repair. If you are experiencing sudden, intense discomfort it is best you discuss directly with your Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Intense burning and numbness on only one breast.

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery.  The nerves of the skin can become irritated due to the stretching that occurs from swelling and the implant volume, leaving patients with a myriad of different symptoms such as burning and numbness.  This tends to resolve spontaneously with time but may take from 6 weeks to 6 months to fully resolve.  Mention these symptoms to your surgeon, they can follow you along to ensure steady improvement.  

After the BA

Hello.  Don't worry,  it's normal.   After a BA the swelling process could make you feel all that.   This will get better in a few more weeks.  Have a good day. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD