Is it safe to have a breast augmentation after having my spleen removed?

Breast aug after splenectomy

As you know, removal of your spleen was recommended to restore your platelets to normal. You are now actually healthier than before your spleen was removed. If you ask your internist for a letter addressing this issue, you will always have documentation to provide to future doctors that request an explanation.

As long as you are in good health you should be fine

There are a few vaccinations you should get after having your spleen removed, but that doesn't effect having breast surgery.  Make sure that your plastic surgeon is aware and go for it.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Medical Clearance

As long as there are no ongoing medical issues and your blood counts are fine there should be no contraindication for breast augmentation after a splenectomy.  A competent plastic surgeon will go over this thoroughly during a preoperative consultation.

Good health

As long as you get a clean bill of health from your doctor then it shouldn't be a problem Schedule an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below) to discuss your options. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast Augmentation after Spleen Removed

Prior to having your breast augmentation surgery, I recommend that you have your blood counts checked and a thorough history and physical performed by your primary care doctor given that you have had your spleen removed.  If all is well, then yes it is safe to have a breast augmentation.  Good luck!

Splenectomy

Hello dear, thanks for your question, it will depend on the reason of the splenectomy but I recommend to see a Board Plastic Surgeon to see your medical history!! Good luck and Best wishes :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Hi.. thank you for the question... Before an answer it is important for us to know why the splenectomy? Depending on the cause, the answer will be yes or no.

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Breast augmentation following spleen removal

Generally speaking, there are no specific contraindications for breast augmentation following splenectomy.    However, the reason for having your spleen removed may change that answer.   Would recommend discussing it with your plastic surgeon.    

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants after spleen removal

Since breast augmentation is basically a clean operation there should be no problem in having a prior spleen removal. I would mention this to your plastic surgeon and they may want to extend the length of your prophylactic antibiotics. That's about all I would do differently. Good luck with your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation following removal of spleen

Depending upon the reason for the removal of your spleen, you should be okay for a breast augmentation.  I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can review your medical history and options with you.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD