What can I do to remove old scar tissue from my lip? Is it safe to use Juvederm for augmentation? (Photo)

15 yrs ago I had a freckle removed from my lip by a dermatologist with a knife&scalpel. He stitched me back up and I have lived with this ugly scar tissue since. It is big deep and old. What can I do to have this scar tissue removed? Also would it be safe to get juvaderm on my lip right now, or would I end up with lumpy results? Or will it help even out my lip shape?

In person consultation is the key

In person consultation is the key. The most important thing is the determination of how thick and deep the scars are as that will determine what the next step is.
If the scar is thin the need for microfractionated (smaller fractionated lasers) carbon dioxide lasers as a scar remodeling technique vs scar revision. Scar revision could be considered if the scar is deep and thick, but it will leave another scar so if the thickness of the current scar is minimal again I would say that lasers will give you the best long term scar outcome.
The thickness also matters as far as the fillers that can be used. If the scar is almost full thickness that can make the injection of fillers more difficult and an experienced person is vital. That said, it can also be very helpful too to even out volume deficiencies.
I bet the scar is a little thinner than thicker as the mole removal should have been a superficial removal not deep.Thus seeing someone who can do microfractionated lasers and filler would be the best option.Not all carbon dioxide lasers and laser surgeons are created equal so make sure you discern the best in your area.

San Antonio Dermatologist

What can I do about the scar next to my mouth?

Hi Laralaradarling, from the picture, it looks like you would benefit from a filler in order to try and even out the contour of the scar as well as a laser resurfacing procedure to try and soften the texture of the scar and blend it with the rest of the skin.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue on Lip can I have Juvederm?

Dear laralaradarling, An examination would be needed to determine your candidacy for Juvederm however it appears from the photograph attached that it may help balance your lips. Seek consultation with a medical physician injector. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Lip filler with old scar

Thank you for your question and photo. Fillers can be very helpful in raising scars and reducing asymmetry.
However, if the scar tissue is 'tethered' to deeper structures, filler can actually accentuate the deformity by
raising the surrounding 'untethered' areas to a greater degree. In an in-person exam, your surgeon should
have a good idea of the texture of the lip tissue and scar. Scar revision prior to lip augmentation is also an
option, but requires much greater time and effort. Obviously, working with an experienced injector is very
important. Good luck to you.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

What can I do to remove old scar tissue from my lip? Is it safe to use Juvederm for augmentation?

Hi and thanks for your question. Scar tissue on the lip can often be removed but you may be left with a small scar. Lasers are another option to soften facial scars but a consultation is needed to examine the areas to give you the best recommendation. After 30 plus years performing aesthetic plastic surgery, I would recommend you see a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Wait until your consultation before considering filler in this area. Best of luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Filler and Scar in lips

A well placed filler by a skilled injector can definitely improve the appearance of your lips.  The scar may need to be released before the filler is placed.  Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

Filler for a depressed scar

Filler can certainly help, but since you have this scar you need to make sure you see an expert injector. Not just "someone" who does Juvederm. Scars can have tightly bound strands and not understanding how this works can definitely lead to lumps and more depressions near the scar. It is key to have the site evaluated by a professional first to see how your tissue is bound and how it may respond to filler.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Fillers for scars

Fillers such as juvederm can be very helpful in elevating depressed scars.  It is important to see an expert in facial injectables.  If the scar is excessively bound down, it may be necessary to release it and put some filler.  Placing filler around scars can cause them to be more apparent if done incorrectly.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar on Lip -- Laser and/or fillers, Surgical Removal

This can be treated with lasers and/or surgical removal.  Please see an expert               Best, Dr. Emer.