Is it recommendable/safe to workout before a Liposculpture?

I am having a liposculpture this upcoming July and I have been exercising regularly to try to bring myself as close as possible to my ideal weigh or at least a little bit more toned. Someone told me it is not safe to workout before a lipo procedure and I am not sure if this is true. Is it recommendable/safe to workout before a liposculpture?

Is it good to work out prior to liposculture

Yes, certainly.  It is great to exercise and to be as healthy as possible prior to any surgery, and after it as well.  Best of the lucks.

Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

Body reshaping

Whether you have liposuction or a noninvasive technique like Cool Sculpting is is important to maintain a diet and exercise program through the entire process.  If there are small stubborn areas to be treated then it may be more acceptable to have Cool Sculpting which will not require and incision, no anesthetic and takes and hour or two depending on the area(s) you want treated. There is no downtime for cool Sculpting!

Is it safe to work out before liposuction?

Being in the best possible shape prior to your liposuction is a great idea.  There should be no problem with working out prior to liposuction and it will most likely be very helpful in resuming an exercise routine following your procedure.  Please talk to your plastic surgeon about specific recommendations.  Good luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Exercise before liposuction

There is no problem that you are choosing to maintain a healthy lifestyle prior to liposuction. This may change the amount fat that is removed but your result should be much better. 

It is recommended to workout prior to lipo.

It is really a great thing for you to be working out prior to lipo so that it will be easier when you start exercising after the lipo beginning 1 week later. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Exercise before surgery

Lipoesculture is a big investment with results that certainly pay off. if you have  discipline  and  correct lifestyle. A healthy diet and a good exercise routine before surgery will help make your body strong  at the time  of the procedure
This can lead to an easier recovery and better results from your surgery.

Alfredo Hoyos, MD
Colombia Plastic Surgeon

Being healthy is a good idea

As long as you're not doing a drastic change in your exercise routine immediately before your procedure, I highly recommend that you continue your exercise program.

Keep up the good work.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Exercise Before Procedure

Thank you for your question. Exercise, after a lipo procedure will cause a large amount of swelling, and compromise your outcome. Definitely not recommended. Talk with your surgeon, and develop a plan of exercise after your procedure. Plan on at least 6-8 weeks before more exercise that raises your BP and HR I hope this helps!

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Lifestyle changes

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle before liposuctions an excellent idea.  It is not necessary to change your lifestyle in order to have surgery.  It would benefit you if you changed your lifestyle before and continued with diet and exercise after surgery however.