Is it ok to use ice after your surgery to reduce swelling?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Dr Derby

Swelling is very normal after surgery. You can do massages  and continue to wear your garment for the first months. Ice can be pretty painful to use and it can also burn the skin or compromise the blood supply , i would not recommend this. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Ice after surgery

Ice  can be  good  when swelling occurs after liposculpture process during the healing process. There will always be some swelling after surgery, but taking the right steps will greatly reduce the amount of swelling and discomfort you will have.

Alfredo Hoyos, MD
Colombia Plastic Surgeon

I warn my patients against it

Swelling is a normal part of healing after liposuction. It comes with the inflammation, which stimulates healing. Cooling down tissues that are trying to heal will lower the blood supply. This can cause complications and is not necessarily in your best interest.

Even worse is applying heat.

Since areas treated with liposuction are numb or partially numb for quite a while after the procedure, some patients will not sense that they are inducing damage to their tissues. I have seen patients give themselves major burns after surgery by heat pads.

I use gentle ice water compressors after eyelid surgery and facelifts but nothing else.

Ask your surgeon what their protocol is.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

No ice after lipo

I recommend that the patients avoid the use of ice after liposuction so as not to burn the skin.  Ice will not aid in the recovery.

Ice after surgery

If you use ice, please wrap the bag in a towel and avoid freezing your tissue.  You may have some areas of numbness, and may not be able to feel everything initially. Arnica pills may also be helpful to minimize bruising.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Cavalier use of ice packs on your surgery area may lead to a "frost bite" and may jeopardize the blood supply to your healing wound. Arnica Montana is probably a better option. It aids the reduction of the swelling and bruising in that area and is available be in both pills and topical cream formulas.
Best is to consult your plastic surgeon for evaluation and advice.

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS, FACS

Icing operative area

I am always concerned about placing ice on skin that has been operated on. Your sensation is slightly altered and you may not know if you're freezing your skin . I would consult with your plastic surgeon as to his or her advice on the matter.