Is it better to wear the garment at night versus during the day?

I had lipo on May 24th and wore the garment 24h a day. I am now at the stage where the doctor said to only wear it at night. I was wondering if I wear it during the day instead of during the night - does it make a difference? Is nighttime better for some reason? I haven't been sleeping too comfortably... Thank you!

Garment post Liposuction

Thanks for your question and congratulations on completing your surgery.  In my opinion, it does not matter whether you wear your compression garment during the day or night.  Oftentimes, we will recommend wearing it at night just because it is a little more comfortable for the patient rather than having to wear it underneath clothes during the day which can cause sweating and discomfort.  But, you can do what works best for you.  I hope this helps. 

Greetings
Thank you for our question, if your surgeon recommeds only to wear ıt at nıght then ıt ıs best to follow hıs instructions.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Wearing garments at night..

Garment use can vary from doctor to doctor. Your doctor may want to you to wear it at night because he may think that it is more cumbersome during the day. Usually it is good to wear it as much as possible if there is any swelling. Sometimes more swelling comes at night so the garment helps restrict that. It is always best to follow the instructions of your surgeon, but if you have concerns be sure to ask him.

Garments after liposuction

Thank you for the question. I usually ask my patients to wear the post op garment for 3 weeks and then switch to more comfortable compression wear for 1-2 more weeks. 
The garment is not necessary in my opinion it should be worn while you have post op swelling for light compression as long as it is comfortable. If it becomes cumbersome or uncomfortable it's got to go. 

Discuss this with your surgeon. Every surgeon has her/his preference and post op recommendations. 

Dr. Khuthaila 

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Garment post Liposuction

You can wear it day and night it can't hurt. Slowly transition out of it, wear it at night for 4 nights then take it off for 1, or something along those lines, just to slowly ease out of it at night so you feel more comfortable. 

Compression Garments after Liposuction

Dear blubyflub,

When our patients have transitioned to less frequent use of the garment, we usually recommend switching to Spanx. They still provide compression and support but are generally more comfortable. I would ask your operating surgeon if this is an option for you either during the day or at night. Hope this helps!

Liposuction - best way to wear the garment

Thank you for your question about your liposuction.

• My approach to compression garments is flexible after the first two weeks -
  • There is so much variation between people's need for one.
  • You are two months after surgery - you may not need a garment if you have no more swelling.
  • If you are swelling and you can't sleep at night with the garment - try wearing it during the day.
  • It isn't even clear how much difference the garment will make - but it does avoid the aching pain of excessive swelling.
  • Above all - a garment must be comfortable. 
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Garments

Some surgeons do not even use garments and those that do, may have you only wear it 3-6 weeks. If concerned, speak to your surgeon.

Compression garment at night

When you are awake and active, there is less need to compress than during sleep.  Wearing the garment at night also permits you to engage in activities of daily living without the heaviness of the garment, particularly in this warm weather.  You might inquire whether you can switch from the garment to something less compressive such as Spanx.