What is the difference between Coolsculpting (zeltiq) and Cryo-lipo?

They seem to do the same things under the same FDA conditions. The major and really only difference i see is the brand price tag (zeltiq cost more). Are these cheaper imitations that seem to perform the same really a better alternative? Or is it one of those too good to be true things? I'm only asking because i saw a deal on groupon that lets me get 2 treatments of cryolipo at a lower price than ONE treatment of zeltiq coolsculpting.

Choose Body Sculpting by Proven Results, Not Price

As you have experienced through other purchases in your life, inexpensive knock-offs rarely if ever have the quality of the original. This is especially true regarding patented, FDA-approved dermatologic procedures, such as body sculpting with Zeltiq's CoolSculpting. Because CoolSculpting is highly effective and patients tend to be thrilled with their results, a lot of unscrupulous companies have come out with knock-offs that try to sell you on the same basic principle. However, these have not been approved by the FDA and have not undergone the same rigorous testing that CoolSculpting has. 

The other advantage of the real CoolSculpting is that Zeltiq requires practitioners to be certified through their training program before offering cryolipolysis(TM) to patients. CoolSculpting is just what the name implies: Sculpting the body by permanently removing fat through cooling it. That means you are paying for expertise in anatomy and aesthetics as well as for the original, science-backed, FDA-approved treatment. Please find a board-certified dermatologist to get the best results with CoolSculpting.

San Diego Dermatologist

Coolsculpting (zeltiq) and Cryo-lipo

Cryolipo may be an imitator of Coolsculpting. Cryolipolysis is the process of freezing in order to kill them in a systematic and scientific manner. CoolSculpting is the only FDA approved cryolipolysis treatment in the United States. Use caution with imitators.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting is the only FDA approved, safe and effective means on non-surgical fat reduction

Hi there-

I hope you're not surprised that there are many imitators and impostors- when a few dollars can be made by copying the patented Coolsculpting technology.

The fact is that while there are many devices being marketed for aesthetic improvement of the face and body, only those that are FDA approved can say they have been proven to be safe and effective for the indication described. Without this assurance, you would have to at least be extra cautious and ask questions about the safety and efficacy of the treatment being recommended to you, and I should add- about the people offering it.

Coolsculpting works and is safe. That's a fact. But because it works, is safe, and is patented, there are companies who would take advantage of a similar sounding name. Be careful.

Cheap CoolSculpting?

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is!  Zeltiq's CoolSculpting is the ONLY FDA-approved cryolipolysis device in the US, period.  Cheaper imitation devices are sold, of course, but they are not FDA-approved, meaning it's actually illegal to use them in the US on humans.  Legitimate CoolSculpting practices are prohibited from using Groupon for CoolSculpting.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Coolsculpting and Cryo-Lipo

Coolsculpting by Zeltiq is an outstanding FDA approved method of freezing fat via cryolipolysis.  Coolsculpting was designed by a Harvard trained dermatologist and has years of clinical research behind it.  Cryo-lipo is a non-FDA approved machine from China and I would avoid.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with years of experience with Coolsculpting.

Difference between CoolSculpting and Cryolipo

Cryolipolysis is the process of freezing fat cells to the point of death. CoolSculpting is the only FDA approved cryolipolysis treatment in the United States. Zeltiq, which makes the CoolSculpting device, also has a patent on the technology. There are other imitation cryolipolysis machines on the market. These are mostly from China. Not only are they infringing on the CoolSculpting patent, but there is no evidence to suggest they are as effective as CoolSculpting. If you see prices for something that seem too good to be true, they most likely are. CoolSculpting providers are also prohibited from partcipating in Groupons. My advice is to stay away from such offers, as you will not be happy with the end result.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Coolsculpting versus other methods of freezing fat

Coolsculpting is the ONLY FDA approved treatment using cooling to treat unwanted fat.  This method was developed by two Harvard dermatologists and has been used in around a million treatments to reduce stubborn pockets of fat such as love handles, muffin tops and thigh fat. There are other "me too" attempts at devices and I have seen many unwanted complications with these knock off devices. My advice is to make sure you are being evaluated at a reputable place such as a physicians office. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

Hi,

Coolsculpting is the only FDA device in USA and is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Accept no Imit

No sure what "Cryo-lipo" is.   Coolsculpting is an effective FDA non invasive treatment for excess fat. I have seen some impressive results with a series of 2-3 treatments. However, the results do vary from patient to patient. Remember, cool sculpting requires no surgery and it will generally yield at least 10-20% improvement each treatment.  It will take up to 3 month to appreciate your final results after each treatment. However, you must understand that cool sculpting is NOT liposuction. Liposuction is a surgical procedure and will yield more definitive results. Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX