I'm going for "Stage One Lipo"... And then later "Stage Two"..What is the difference between both of them?

I originally wanted a tummy tuck.. I have a big gut and the doctor I seen - Dr. Francis in NYC who I am so happy to have met... Told me it was best for me to do Two stages of Lipo instead of a tummy tuck right now because I plan on losing more weight over the next 6-12 months...

Abdominal improvement

Hello and thank you for your question. This is challenging to answer without seeing you in person.  Generally, if you have a large amount of hanging anterior abdominal skin or fat, liposuction of the anterior abdomen will not be successful, no matter how many stages.  This can leave a large amount of hanging excess skin and look much worse than when you started.  A tummy tuck is a much better procedure in that scenario.  But an in-person evaluation would be very helpful to give you more accurate advice.  Make sure your doctor is  a qualified American Board of Plastic Surgery, board-certified plastic surgeon.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Two-stage liposuction

You need to ask your plastic surgeon what his definition of a two-stage liposuction is.

No one can speak properly on his behalf.

my practice is exclusively devoted to body contouring using various firms a little section and fat transfer.

at times I will split liposuction into two procedures.

This generally has to do with patients who have too many areas or too much fat to safely be removed in a single procedure.

when that's the case each area treated will be treated to completion. During the second procedure additional i'm treated areas will be cheated to finish the procedure.

I generally never attempt to liposuction a single area twice unless it's related to some type of revision or fine-tuning.

please ask your plastic surgeon.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Lipo

Every doctor has different strategies. I am guessing that he wants to stage it because there are a lot of areas to be treated. 

Staged liposuction

Thanks for asking this question, there are several issues to clarify for you.  Without actually examining you no one on-line can give you a definitive answer, but if your surgeon is an experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, then this could be the reason that he is suggesting a staged approach.  If he or she is planning on performing liposuction on you in a staged fashion it could be because they feel that you have too much fat to remove safely in a single procedure.  Generally, most plastic surgeons will try and limit the volume of fat removed through liposuction to 5 liters or less if surgery is performed as an outpatient.  In order to insure patient safety, larger volumes usually need the kind of post-operatIve monitoring that would require an overnight facility or hospital. Since you initially saw your surgeon for a tummy tuck, and he suggested liposuction and weight loss first, it could make sense because the best tummy tuck reults occur when a patient has lost as much weight and is as thin as is practical. Liposuction will probably create loose skin of your stomach and sides, so following it with a tummy tuck will allow your plastic surgeon to remove the most skin and tighten the muscles the most to help give you your best possible result. 
As always, patient safety should come first, so speak with your doctor about your treatment plan so that you can have a better understanding and be comfortable with your decision.

Isaac Starker, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon