How long will it take to see results from sculptra?

as to how long it takes to see affects, answer range from "a little while" to "some time" to one doc who said, quote " it is a slowwwwww process". Can one of the docs quantify these expression so that they are helpful? I have had first treatment-two of recommended five vials a a month ago. i see nothing. I do not want to make a costly mistake. Can someone please provide a timetable that has some meaning? thanks

Sculptra Results

Sculptra takes 3-6 months to show improvement.  Often I combine the Sculptra with other fillers, lasers, toxins and skin care to enhance the results and give immediate results.  Sculptra is not best on its own, but better in combinations.  I suggest posting photos and seeing a facial contouring specialist who has experience.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Time period to see results from Sculptra

Treatments with Sculptra normally require several sessions that cause gradual tissue stimulation to build up the desired area.  Depending on the baseline amount of volume loss of the patient, it is possible that you may not see much of a change after the first treatment.  Normally, it will appear that each subsequent treatment provides more change than the prior treatment.  I have seen some patients, with significant volume loss, that did not have a noticeable improvement until after three treatment sessions.  Patients with more subtle volume loss may see some improvement after just one session.  I would say the maximum result would be seen approximately two months after the last treatment session.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra timetable

Sculptra can take a while to see results but it is by far one of the best volumizers on the market if used properly.  In general, you need one vial per decade of life.  So, if you're 45-55, then 5 vials are just right.  Again, this is in general, and may vary.  For 5 vials, you have 2 done the first session, then 2 vials during the second session, usually 4-6 weeks later, then the last vial during the third session.

It's extremely common not to see any results after the first session and I tell my patients not to expect any change until after the second session.  It takes your body usually 8-12 weeks to make collagen to a point that is visible in your face.  So, be patient and wait until the 8-12 week mark to start seeing results.  I have seen some patients take 4-6 months before the results start to show themselves.

It's a frustration experience because you're paying for something you won't see for 3 months but stick with it and once it kicks in, you should get 2-3 years out of it. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Results from Sculptra

Results from Sculptra injections are evident near the end of 6 weeks. The point of Sculptra is that it works to continue to build collagen over next 12-18 months. A series of four treatments are given over a period of four months in order to achieve best results.

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra Results

You will not see immediate results from Sculptra injections. Generally patients begin seeing the effects within a month of treatment. Within the next few months, the results will continue to improve, until your desired results are achieved. Remember, Sculptra is a collagen stimulator, meaning it works to improve collagen production within your own body. Keep in mind that immediately following the treatment you will experience some swelling, giving your face a more volumized appearance. However, within a few days this swelling will disappear and your face will look like it did prior to the treatment, but rest assured the product is working and the results will appear gradually over the next few months. Their moto is 'you didnt age overnight, so you shouldn't anti-age over night either' which basically says it all. Multiple treatments are often necessary to achieve optimal results

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

How long will it take to see results from Sculptra?

We usually do our Sculptra treatments at 4-6 week intervals and patients are just starting to see improvement at that time and by the third vial two months have gone by and they are happy. Having said that we usually only do 3 vials and then wait to see the amount of improvement before doing any more as it is pretty unusual to need 5 vials.

Suzanne Kilmer, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra injections in Los Angeles

We often combine Sculptra injections with oral vitamin C and stimulatory retinoids to enhance effect. Patients begin to see results immediately, followed by gradual improvement over 90 days.

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Volumizing Fillers, Unlike Sculptra Yield Immediate Results.

It usually takes up to six months to see the results of Sculptra treatment, which works solely by stimulating neocollagenesis (i.e. new, native collagen synthesis), a process that requires a series of relatively expensive Sculptra treatments and takes six months on average to see maximal results.

For this reason, I personally gave up using Sculptra several years ago in favor of the use of semipermanent volumizing fillers, such as Radiesse and Voluma XC (in my Upper East Side Manhattan practice), both of which, either injected alone or combination, yield IMMEDIATE gratifying results, while ALSO stimulating neocollagenesis to further improve the results with time and prolong their effects--which may last up to two years. (In my Israel satellite facility, where a greater number of regulatory agency approved fillers and volumizers are available, I would opt for such robust natural injectables as Stylage XXL, Emervel Volume, Teosyal Deep, and Restylane SQ). In most cases, one treatment session is sufficient to achieve the desired results.

Basically, experience has led me to forget the Sculptra (so that my patients don't have to end up asking experts on Realself when they're going to realize some ROI from their relatively expensive Sculptra treatments). 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Sculptra and Results

Sculptra is an amazing procedure that gives long lasting and natural results. I personally inject only one vial of Sculptra at a time. The results for each treatment take 4 to 6 weeks to see the effect. I bring each patient back after 4 weeks for the next treatment. There are times when full correction and results are achieved after only two treatments. The results last two years.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with Sculptra and other facial cosmetic injections.