Lumineers and gum recession, do I lose all the money I invested in lumineers?

Hi There, I was about to start the Lumineers treatment next week but my family dentist told me that with my normal gum recession I might have to redo the lumineers all over again because the gum recession will expose part of my teeth and there will be a gap between the lumineer caoting and the new exposed tooth where food can get stuck. Is that true? If that happens, will I need to pay for the whole process again?

Worried about gum recession, if Lumineers ... #DrSarahThompson

Gum recession occurs with poor dental hygiene.  It's usually most prevalent in the elderly, because dental hygiene tends to get worse in older age.  Though I provide Lumineers and normal minimal prep veneers, I always try to let my patients know that if they are looking for something that will last them 20-30 years, they should go with porcelain veneers.  However, if they are looking for something that will make their teeth look good without the need of prepping the teeth, then they should go with Lumineers.  Lumineers are much more likely to fall off, which is why you shouldn't expect them to last several years without issue.  I hope this helps.  You can follow me on RealSelf if you have more questions.   

Lumineers and recession

You haven't even started the process of having Lumineers placed. I don't think you should worry about what may happen ten to twenty years down the road. Recession isn't a normal part of life. Recession is caused by a problem. If you don't have recession now why do you think you will have recession down the road? If you do have recession the cause needs to be addressed before you have the Lumineers done. If your veneers do need replacing in ten or twenty years you will be responsible for paying for them again. No restoration will last forever. They are affected by all of your oral habits, what you eat or drink. The ph of your saliva. How well you take care of them. All of this is beyond the control of your dentist. If you thought this was a one and done type situation you should possibly rethink getting Lumineers.