Kybella if I am pregnant/trying to conceive?

I am wondering how safe Kybella is while trying to conceive/while pregnant. I'm going through fertility treatments now but have a Kybella voucher that must be used within the next 3 mos. I can't find any information on any risk factors. Has anyone heard of any reports on tests or clinical trial reports? Lastly, since what I gather might be a risk is the acid injected - how long does this stay in a person's system if I decide to get the Kybella treatment and then resume my fertility treatments?

Kybella while trying to get pregnant

Dear Mrm212,

Although it isn't likely that Kybella would affect a developing pregnancy, its not worth it to chance this given that you'd like to have the healthiest baby possible.

So for now, I'd suggest holding off until after delivery and after nursing before considering Kybella.

In terms of how long it stays in a persons system, its hard to say. The treatments still show activity up to one month after a kybella injection.

I'd say if you weren't pregnant and decided to try kybella before trying to get pregnant again you'd be safe to wait 2 months after a treatment before trying again. But do know that it often takes 2-4 treatments so get an optimal result with kybella. Hope this helps.

Kybella while trying to get pregnant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Mrm212,

Kybella

Patients who are pregnant, trying to conceive or are breastfeeding are not good candidates for Kybella. It is not ideal to perform clinical trials on these individuals. Please avoid Kybella treatments during this period to avoid any detrimental effects on the fetus/baby's health. After giving birth and completing breastfeeding, please see your healthcare provider to assess if you are a good candidate for kybella! 

Kybella

Kybella and Pregnancy

Kybella is FDA approved and is safe and highly effective at reducing submental fat.  However, there are no studies on pregnancy and I would avoid such injections during that time.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella and Pregnancy

Not a good idea

I would never do Kybella if you were pregnant... why take an unnecessary risk, right?

My best,
Dr. Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Not a good idea

My best,
Dr. Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Pregnancy and Kybella

I would not recommend using Kybella while pregnant or trying to become pregnant.  I would find a provider and see if they would be willing to work with you and your timeline to see if you could still use the Kybella voucher at a later date.  Best of luck!

Pregnancy and Kybella

Kybella not recommended for pregnancy

Although Kybella exists in the human body where it helps digest fat in the intestine.  Kybella is not recommended during pregnancy or after conception.  It is better to be safe and get your Kybella when you are not pregnant or trying to conceive .

Kybella not recommended for pregnancy

Use of kybella in pregnancy

Thank you for the question.  Eventhough kybella is FDA approved its role in pregnancy has not been studied.  I would recommend not having an injection while pregnant or breast feeding.  Best of luck. 

Use of kybella in pregnancy

Kybella during fertility treatments or pregnancy

Dear mrm212:

The safety of Kybella administered to a woman who is pregnant has not been studies and therefore Kybella should not be administered to a pregnant woman.

We often give Tylenol and ibuprofen immediately prior to a treatment, and one dose of prednisone immediately after along with ibuprofen for several days and arnica as part of my specific protocol which is very effective in minimizing swelling. Some of these substances are not recommended in pregnancy and could affect your fertility treatments.

So it's best to wait, don't you think?

Dr. Clark

Dear mrm212:

So it's best to wait, don't you think?

Dr. Clark

Kybella should not be used during pregnancy

Kybella like many other medicines/drugs has not been studied in pregnant or lactating women.  Therefore, we do not know what effect it might have on the fetus/baby.  For this reason you should not have Kybella if you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant.

No

Although Deoxycholic Acid (Kybella) is a bile salt, the safety of Kybella has not been studied during pregnancy or lactation.  If your goal is to become pregnant, continue the fertility treatments and worry about Kybella afterwards. The risk of Kybella during this time in your life is not worth the reward. Please consult with your Reproductive Endocrinologist or OB/Gyn physician prior to undergoing any elective procedures while concomitantly treating your infertility.

No