I am a man, early 30's, and I have hair on my shoulder blades and shoulders, can I use laser/IPL to remove the hair? (Photos)

Hello, I've been having this problem since my late teens. I wax it every now and then, but waxing causes me to break out. I was told this area is problematic for laser/IPL back when I was 23 because it might cause the hair to grow darker and thicker. I want to get rid of it. What options do I have? Thank you.

IPL for hair reduction

Thank you for your question duxxy. I understand your concern. IPL is a great treatment for facial rejuvenation. It can also be used for permanent hair reduction on the body. A series of 6-8 treatments is recommended. Sometimes more treatments are necessary. One maintenance treatment is recommended every 1-2 years thereafter.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

IPL for hair reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

​Find an Experienced Provider with Good Equipment that is Regularly Calibrated

Newer lasers have features built in (such as sapphire cooling tips) to make them more comfortable.  Some of the newer technology is also more efficient, allowing for lower energy settings to be used with better results and less discomfort.  For any laser treatment, safety is the most important consideration.   In the state of Texas, every new laser patient has to be seen by a medical practitioner.  At that point, they can determine if you can be safely treated with their laser.  We can safely treat any body part on any skin type with the Vectus Laser.

We recommend finding an experienced and reputable provider in your area with updated equipment.  Calibration and power of the laser is important for a safe, comfortable and effective treatment.  Find out what laser they will use and if it is under a maintenance contract.  If their laser isn’t calibrated on a regular basis or is underpowered, your treatment may be painful or inefficient. We can't comment on the laser you mentioned.  It doesn't have the power & features we required.

Laser hair removal

You have fair skin and dark hair so you would be a good candidate for laser hair removal.  Have your sessions done in a doctor's office to avoid inappropriate treatment.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Laser hair removal

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist