I have hypopigmentation after Fraxel Restore. Can Latisse be applied to my scars to darken their pigmentation? (photos)

Had 2 treatments of Fraxel restore done on surgical scars on my legs. Now the scars are lighter than the surrounding skin. Can Latisse be applied to my scars to darken their pigmentation? Or are there any other options? I read a study about this. What are the benefits/risks? I am Caucasian with fair/medium skin.

Fraxel laser and hypopigmentation

Fraxel is a great laser but when treating scars at high settings hypopigmentation can sometimes occur.  Latisse is not FDA approved for hypopigmentation but there are some anecdotal reports of it working.  I would consult with your treating physician to see if there is any other treatment they can offer you for the skin color.

Latisse to address hypopigmentation

Latisse has been used by doctors to try to correct hypopigmentation with varying results. The company was even looking into a study to see whether Latisse can be helpful. It would be important to understand that this is an off-label treatment, and if you're trying to improve hypopigmentation to treat just the hypopigmented areas, any Latisse that spreads to the surrounding area can actually make the condition worse - and the area can look more uneven in coloration.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon