Is it possible to do a hair transplant over scar from nevus sebaceous removal on scalp? What is the approximate cost? (Photos)

Years ago I had nevus sebaceous removal, to be to remove the mark and give me less of a bald spot...well it's completely smooth-feeling now and almost flat to the scalp, but I have a bigger bald area. It's very close to my hair line and it shows easily and makes me really self conscious. I've been told I could try the same method of cutting out skin and stitching it closed again but since that made the bald area bigger last time I'm scared. Could I possibly do hair transplant through the scar?

Hair Transplant over Scar

Thank you for your question.  Your question is not an uncommon one but the answer is highly dependent upon your general medical health profile and a physical exam of the area.  It is definitely possible to successfully transplant hairs to camouflage the presence of a scar, but there are considerations such as blood flow and size and age of scar that are important to consider.  Scar reductions are also possible, but again depending upon the size of your scar and the amount of movement expected from adjacent tissues, closure can sometimes be difficult and it is critical that there is no tension on closure.  

I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is well versed in these procedures.  Doing so would afford you the opportunity to discuss all of the options and treatments available to you in great detail after a thorough examination of the area in question.  I hope you find this helpful and I wish you the best.

Is it possible to do a hair transplant over scar from nevus sebaceous removal on scalp? What is the approximate cost?

The “Organic Hair Transplantation” method is a novel development in modern hair transplantation surgery practice which was developed with the efforts of our research and development department. Now; our successful hair transplantation results has evolved to a new era thanks to the “Organic Hair Transplantation” method. We can consider this new method as a revolutionary development.

“Organic Hair Transplantation” is based on injection of a mixture containing adipose derived stem cells obtained from own fat tissue of the patient to the scalp of the patient. The recipient area gets rejuvenated and the viability of transplanted grafts is increased with the effects of adipose derived stem cell injection. The injection of adipose derived stem cells also provides a better work area for the surgeon.

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them

Transplants into the scalp scar

You situation is unfortunately not uncommon

Typically the stretched  scar is as bad as the original lesion.  I certainly would not recommend another scar reduction attempt. 

We have found that removal of 1-2 mm (pin head size holes) of scar tissue and replacing this with 3-4 hairs/transplant work quite well. This technique was presented at  the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery meeting a few years ago and I have had good results .  It is likely to take two sessions to complete the restoration.

Good Luck

Dr Vogel

James Vogel, MD

Transplanting scalp scars

I have had great success transplanting scalp scars, like the one in your picture. 

There are tricks to getting hair to grow and maximizing density in a scar. Firstly, scars can often be reduced surgically. This means a smaller transplant overall - or, maybe a transplant can be avoided. When the scar is excised, the closure must be tension free.  This is accomplished by wide undermining and release techniques. 

Unfortunately, scar excision seems to have left you with a bigger bald spot, which may happen in some circumstances.  In cases where scar excision is not possible, then you just try to maximize density with a hair transplant. One trick is to transplant with using DFU (double follicluar units) so there is twice as many hairs for each slit placed. Another trick is to use PRP (platelet rich plasma) to improve growth and vascularity in conjunction with a hair transplant, though this is not used in every situation. 

Overall, the cost varies greatly by surgeon, complexity, and geography.  In NYC, where I practice, the cost ranges from 5-15k though may be lower or higher depending on the case.  

In cases where the patient has had poor results with other physicians or in cases of very large scars that cannot be surgically reduced, I may recommend a test-patch to see if the transplant will work in a small section of the scar. In this method, a small number of hairs are transplanted to see if the hairs will grow in the scar. If the transplant takes, then we can transplant the whole scar. If the test patch does not take, then we can revise our approach.  

Hope this thorough answer gives you some clarity and direction.

Best of luck.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

Hair transplant

it is best to be evaluated by a hair restoration surgeon. Scar tissue can be transplanted in to, but the blood supply in a scar is not as good as in virgin tissue. The growth may be reduced in a transplant to a scar. It is important for the surgeon to set a reasonable expectation, so having an in depth consultation will help with this.

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Hair transplant into scar

All scars are different. A hair transplant into this scar may grow, but I would have to examine you and see if this is the best approach.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Yes, hair transplant may work

It really depends on how thick the scar is.  There needs to be a good blood supply for the transplants to survive.  Unfortunately, scar tissue doesn't have much of a blood supply.  A scar revision may be a better option.  Make sure you are seeing a surgeon.  Often times, if a general dermatologist removed your nevus, they may not feel comfortable doing the wide undermining on the scalp that is necessary to get a tension-free closure.  The hope is that you can at least narrow the scar with surgery, then graft what's left over if needed.  I'd suggest seeing either a plastic surgeon or a facial plastic surgeon in your area to give you realistic options for scar revision.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon