Fixing black triangles with dental bonding after orthodontic work? (Photo)

I recently did invisalign to close a gap in my front teeth. My teeth are much improved but I still have a black triangle on my two upper incisors due to the shape of my teeth. I'd like to do dental bonding to fix this so that I can get a permanent retainer as I think it would be better for my lifestyle. How long does bonding last? How easily does it stain (can I still drink red wine, etc.)? Will it look natural? Any other alternatives? - my teeth are healthy aside from the black triangle.

Black Triangle

The black triangle can be minimized with slenderizing to make the teeth less triangular. This needs to be done during orthodontic treatment so that the spaces can be closed. Bonding can also improve the esthetics but it will need to be replaced periodically. The bonding should not stain from drinks and food, but your teeth can be stained so the margin between the tooth and the bonding material can become visible over time from discoloration/staining of your tooth.
A permanent retainer on the upper teeth can be less durable due to the overlap of your lower teeth and biting pressure. You may want to also have a removable retainer to wear at night, especially in case the upper fixed retainer is broken and cannot be repaired immediately.

Chi H. Bui, DMD, MS

Fountain Valley Orthodontist

Porcelain veneers to fix black triangle #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
While bonding can be used to improve the appearance of teeth, I do not recommend it for your case. Since access is very limited in the space, bonding is not an easy task and will not give you an excellent cosmetic result. Rather than bonding, I would recommend the instant fix of porcelain veneers. See an experienced cosmetic dentist for a complete evaluation to determine your options.  The best indicator to determine if the dentist is going to give you the results that he or she claims, is by viewing before and after photos of his/her patients that have undergone similar or the same procedures. Veneers will surely have you smiling again! Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100

Porcelain veneers

Hi, thanks for write... Definitely bonding is not good solution is very difficult to handle on this black triangles and just last 2-3 years, if you drink red wine even worse, porcelain veneers long more than 10 years and stainless. Good luck. 

Jepssy Beltre, DDS
Dominican Republic Dentist

What to do about black triangles after Invisalign

This is a very common question. Bonding the black triangles is very difficult and the results may not be as good as either you or the dentist want them to be. There is just not enough space to work with bonding in most cases. If it's a large triangle it may be able to be done but still the final results will probably be less than perfect. I know you've stated that your teeth are healthy so dental veneers may be the right solution for you depending on how badly the black triangles bother you... you don't have to do anything. As I'm sure you have already been told, you can not grow the gum back into the black triangle at this time. Best of luck!
Hank D. Michael, DMD at Sarasota Dentistry | General, Cosmetic and Dental Implants

Hank D. Michael, DMD
Sarasota Dentist