How much does it cost to surgically change your eye color?

Hi, i am interested in changing my eyecolor and would like some information on it. how much does it cost? is it dangerous? any information would be very helpful thank you

No Lasers in the US

I think you got the best answer from Dr. Eviatar – there is no current laser in the U.S. to do what you are asking and that we also would recommend against using Latisse here.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Changing the color of the iris

Interesting question.  The natural underlying color of the iris (the part of the eye inside which is colored) is a pale gray-blue (just like skin is pale white).  Most people have melanocytes that produce melanin (just like in the skin) and it is the melanin that gives the eyes  a green, hazel or brown appearance, depending on the amount in the iris.  We have known for years that if you laser the melanocytes you can lighten the color of the eye by destroying the melanocytes, just like we do in the skin with lasers that remove dark spots.  Because of the risks of liberating pigment cells and debris from the laser into the eye, and the fact that these cells can block the drainage of the fluid into the eye, which potentially can lead to increased eye pressure and glaucoma) there has been a reluctance to develop lasers for this application.

However, a company now has a laser that is in the process of seeking approval from the FDA to conduct clinical trials for just such a laser.  Because the procedure is not even available yet in this country, and it's long term safety is not fully known, there aren't prices yet and patients undergoing treatment will be part of the trial.  Our office is scouted to potentially be one of the study sites and the treatment will be to turn dark eyes lighter but cannot darken the color of the eye.  Be on the look out because we are hoping to start the studies soon.   Currently there are colored lenses that can be put into the eye, much like contact lenses, to change the appearance of the color but these are not safe for cosmetic uses (many eye problems can occur) and are reserved for eyes with Iris deformities.

I hope that helps and we're as anxious as you are to have a safe and effective way to turn brown eyes blue!

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

If you are considering using Latisse to create color changes in your eyes, I would recommend against it.

Thank you for your question. If you are considering using Latisse to create color changes in your eyes, I would recommend against it. Latisse should be used as directed. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Eye color cannot be surgically changed

Thank you for your question about your Latisse.

Eye color cannot be changed surgically.
Eye color can be changed by using tinted contact lenses -
something many dark-eye women use, if they go blonde.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.