Classic lipo VS. hidrolipoclasia - Which option is better?

Hello, 28 years old female, 5'7, 138 pounds. Most of my fat is on my lower belly, my hips (love handles), waist and back. I'm considering to either get a classic lipo or a hidrolipoclasia. Can you please tell me if a hidrolipoclasia can achieve the same results as a classic liposculpture? I want a better waist to hip ratio and to get rid of my excess fat on my hips, back, waist and belly. Which of those two options would you rather recommend and why? Thanks!

Liposuction options

Mesotherapy is the old name for hidrolipoclasia, a technique which is an off label use with inconsistent and problematic outcomes. I do not believe that it can achieve the same outcome and have the same sculptural focus as liposuction.  To my understanding, it is frequently performed by non-surgeons and for inappropriate indications, I encourage you to see a board certified plastic surgeon who can discuss whether you are a candidate for liposuction and explain goal outcomes. Best wishes.

Dr. Kraft

Graduate of Yale University School of Medicine

What kind of liposuction?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Hard as it is to believe - your result will not depend on the machine used.
  • It will depend on your surgeon.
  • Please have your surgery done by a qualified plastic surgeon -
  • And rely on her/his preference in the machine.
  • In good hands, both give good results.
  • My preference is for pulsatile-assisted liposuction but I have used them all and they all work fine.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lipousuction

I always tell my patients it is not the wand( the machine) that creates all the magic, it is the magician( surgeon)!  Focus on finding a good surgeon and not worry about the machine they use to do the work. Best of luck.  

Liposuction Options

The most important aspect regarding liposuction is the surgeon using the liposuction machine. Don't be fooled by sexy sounding lipo machines because studies show that results are no better than traditional liposuction machines. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Liposuction

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  If you are an appropriate candidate for waistline contouring liposuction of your abdomen, flanks, and lower back, this can greatly improve your overall shape with a smaller waist and is a better technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Liposuction and Hidroli

In my opinion liposuction will always be your best option. Hidrolipoclasia is not a type of lipo and will never achieve the same results as Liposuction. 

To my knowledge Hidrolipoclasia is a non-surgical procedure done without the aspiration of fat. It treats the fat by injecting saline solution under the skin and then using an ultrasound machine to break up the fat. This should in turn reduce a patients size by one or two sizes and is said to work for small amounts of fat, but only after several sessions and dieting. 

Liposuction is completely different. It is a surgical procedure that actually suctions or aspirates the fat out in one session. Results are immediate so we can actually shape the patients body and not have to wait several sessions.  Saline solution with medication to avoid bleeding, and sometimes medication to produce numbness is injected in the areas that are going to be treated. This is the Classic or Traditional Lipo also alled Wet Lipo or Tumescent Lipo.

The aspiration of fat can be assisted by different machines or technologies, hence the different "types" of liposuction like Vaser, Laser, Smart Lipo ext. Some surgeons will be more comfortable with one or the other, but these are all brand names and products of marketing. There is know evidence that one device is better then the other. 

The most important factor when considering lipo is not the type of lipo but the surgeon and his abilities. 

Best of luck on your procedure!

Dr. Miguel Mota

Miguel Mota, MD