Would you use the Alex / Alexandrite Laser or Fraxel Dual to treat my sun spots/acne scars? (photos)

Or another suggestion? I am a white female with fair skin.

Alexandite Fraxel Combo

Sunspot are cause by an excess exposure to ultraviolet rays. Although sunspot are not dangerous they can mimic the appearance of skin cancer. To treat this we like to use a combination of both Alexandrite and Fraxel Dual.

Fraxel: 

Fraxel Dual is a 1927nm wavelength which treats superficially pigmentation. It uses controlled injuries to the skin which sends it into repair mode and speeds up cellular turnover. Fraxel Dual also helps improve fine lines, texture, and pre-cancerous skin cells.

Alex Tri-Vantage:

Alexandrite laser is a 755 Laser which spot treats pigment. It is designed to treat isolated pigmented lesions.

After the patient has been numbed, we do 8 passes of the Fraxel 1927, followed by the Alexandrite laser on top. Combining both lasers allows us to treat the full photo-damaged area. Several treatments may be needed to improve the sunspots.

Alexandite Fraxel Combo

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fraxel: 

Alex Tri-Vantage:

Fraxel Dual

Fraxel Dual will be able to treat sun spots and acne scars. I would do it in combination with chemical peel, microneeling or microdermabrasion. It would improve your skin texture and give you better results. Good luck! 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Fraxel Dual

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Fraxel or Alex-Trivantage Laser

You asked an excellent question about which laser to choose.  Fraxel Dual has two different wavelengths - one for dark spots and one for scars.  The Alex treats small isolated dark spots like you have very efficiently.  I would recommend the Alex for the spots and either the Fraxel (1550) or the eMatrix (RF) for your acne scars.  You can't treat both conditions at the same time.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise in acne scars for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Fraxel or Alex-Trivantage Laser

Sun spots/Acne scars

Thank you for your question. I would recommend the Fraxel Dual for the Sun spots and acne scars as it will be able to address both issues.

Sun spots/Acne scars

Treating sun spots and acne scars

The better of those choices is the Fraxel. The dual can treat both those conditions well. The alex laser is not good for acne scars and it not made for improving pigment. The QS laser is also good for sunspots and the Infini is good for acne scars.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Treating sun spots and acne scars

Steven F. Weiner, MD