Can I leave my nipple rings during surgery if I use plastic rings instead of surgical steel ones?

I am going for plastic surgery (Full lipo, Tummy Tuck and BBL) I have my nipples pierced and I wanted to know if I can keep the rings in during surgery if I use the bioflex (plastic) rings instead of the surgical steel ones? I'm afraid to remove them during surgery because I'm scared that they'll close.

All body piercings need to be removed before surgery

Foreign objects, including all body piercings need to be removed before any operation. They are bacteria magnets and can cause serious infections, especially if breast implants are utilized. It is a wive's tale that the openings will close when a ring or stud is removed. Unfortunately, those openings are permanent, and you will be able to easily re-insert the rings after the procedure is finished.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Jewelry and Surgery

You may want to ask your plastic surgeon. However, it's usually advised to remove all jewelry before any surgical procedure.

Jewelry and Surgery

Best to discuss with your surgeon.

Since you are not having any type of breast surgery you can switch out the metal ones and replace with the plastic rings.  However don't be too worried about them closing.  If you have had the piercings greater than 6 months and there is no inflammation, they will not close.

Best to discuss with your surgeon.

Removal of nipple rings preoperative

Nipple rings are foreign objects and can harbor bacteria. Any bacteria present in the operative field can lead to an infection. If the implant pocket becomes infected it would be necessary to remove the implant for a prolonged period of time before it can be replaced. In order to increase the safety of the procedure and help ensure an uncomplicated recovery it would be best to the remove nipple rings before your procedure. Good luck.

Removal of nipple rings preoperative

Be safe-- remove nipple rings.

Infection following breast augmentation can be a devastating complication that results in the loss of breast implants. For this reason, everything should be done to minimize the potential for this complication.
Nipple rings not only have bacteria on their surface but within the skin tunnel that the ring passes through as well.It’s virtually impossible to eradicate bacteria in this location prior to surgery.For this reason, we always recommend that nipple rings be removed when patients undergo breast augmentation.

Be safe-- remove nipple rings.

Rings ?

We just take them out and put them back in after surgery. Simple as that. Please seek out a board certified plastic surgeon

Rings ?

Mommy Makeover Toronto

I would require that you remove them if you were my patient. It's not worth the infection risk in my opinion. Ask your PS what they recommend.

Mommy Makeover Toronto

Remove nipple rings before breast surgery

Thank you for your question. I have seen terribe infections in patients who had nipple rings placed after breast surgery. Its not worth the risk-take them out