What are the affects of miraDry and sweating in other places after the procedure?

Hello I was just wondering if miradry was similar to Botox in affect towards other sweat glands? Like if I destroy the sweat glands under my arms will there be more sweat coming from my feet and hands as Botox procedures make you sweat from other areas because the sweat needs to come out somewhere else?

Compensatory Sweating and MiraDry

Compensatory sweating (sweating more elsewhere) is uncommon post MiraDry procedure.  You do not need sweat glands in your armpits. You are born with approximately 2 million sweat glands throughout your body.  Your underarms only contain 2% of those sweat glands.  Since your underarms contain only about 2% of the sweat glands within the entire body, you will continue to sweat naturally elsewhere.  MiraDry is a great option for permanent elimination of sweat glands and odor glands.  Good Luck!

Elsewhere

Sweating is the body's way of cooling off.  When sweat evaporates the body gets cooler.  It's the same reason you get cold after you get out of a shower.  It just doesn't work that way.  The body produces enough sweat to cool down.  Under your arms the sweat doesn't evaporate.  

Barry N. Silberg, MD, FACS
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Sweating elsewhere?

Thanks for your inquiry. MiraDry will affect only the underarm area and will lead to normal sweating in other parts of the body. Overall, only 2 % of the sweat glans live in the underarm and so there's little compensatory sweating. 

Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

MiraDry and sweating elsewhere

miraDry works quite differently from Botox - so it would be quite unusual to see what is called compensatory sweating (having more production from the sweat-prone areas of the body that were not treated) after the procedure.  Since miraDry eliminates only the sweat glands in the armpits (about 2% of your body's total), your body (and you) won't really miss them.

Hope this is helpful,

Dr. Lim

Angeline Lim, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Compensatory Sweating Extremely Rare-Not Likely to Happen.

What you describe, where increased sweating occurs in other parts of the body after sweat glands are destroyed in one area, is called compensatory sweating. With MiraDry there have been only extremely rare reports of this happening. In our practice we have done over 100 MiraDry treatments and have not had this occur with any of our patients. 

Allison Readinger, MD
Fort Worth Dermatologist

Sweating in other areas after treatment

Good question and a very common one that patients ask us. Thankfully,  patients do not experience any compensatory sweating (sweating in other areas to compensate for not sweating in the underarms) after Miradry. The underarms make up only about 2% of your body's total sweat glands, so losing them isn't significant to the body to properly control temperature.    

Grant Stevens, MD

Miradry

We have not seen it affect other parts of the body.  The treatment is at the end point of sweating so it is less likely to do the weird things a surgery would do. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist