I have a surgically implanted mesh for a hernia on the right side of my abdomen. Can I still get Liposuction?

What is the difference between Smart Lipo and traditional lipo?

I strongly recommend

to perform preoperatively an abdominal wall ultrasound check, to be sure that no hernia may come across the cannula during the lipsuction with catastrophic bowel handle perforation. Once this is ruled out the lipo can be done.

Spain Plastic Surgeon

Of course you can. The fat to be sucked is superficial to the mesh, therefore, the mesh in no way interferes with liposuction.

Smart lipo uses a laser to assist in vaporizing the fat and is not essential for liposuction. It significantly increases the cost of liposuction often by $1K or more. I don't recommend it.
Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tumescent liposuction may be appropriate if the hernia repair is intact as is the rest of the abdominal wall.

Liposuction over a Mesh

I frequently perform liposuction in patients who have had mesh or lapband/bypass.  i typically speak to their physician to ensure they are okay with the treatment, but there has never been a complication in my hands doing this many times under tumescent anesthesia (with and without a laser).  Find a very well trained surgeon to have this performed.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction over hernia mesh repair

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Usually liposuction carefully done is fine over a hernia mesh repair.
  • But an exam is needed to be sure there aren't any concerns.
  • Please only have a plastic surgeon do this - understand mesh, hernia and anatomy are essential.
  • Laser liposuction should not be used - the heat can affect the underlying mesh.
  • Smart lipo uses a laser want that emits intense heat.
  • Traditional and pulsatile liposuction are 'cool' techniques without the risk of tissue damage from heat.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Generally okay

I have performed liposuction over hernia repairs. I do go over risks, such as possible hernia recurrence and mesh infection that could happen, though these are unlikely.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Mesh and liposuction

You should make your surgeon aware of the mesh and abdominal defect.  They will be more cautious in that area, but should still be able to make an improvement.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Liposuction after Hernia Repair

The presence of mesh should not prevent your plastic surgeon from proceeding with liposuction.  Hernias increase the risk of liposuction if they are not repaired as the liposuction tube could inadvertently pass through the hernia into the abdominal cavity.  Having your hernia repaired increases the safety of the procedure.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Previous hernia repair with mesh is not a contraindication to liposuction.

Liposuction will be performed shallow to the mesh which will not affect the outcome. It is completely safe to have the operation performed after hernia repair.