After a body massage I have pain under and around my implants. Did the massage or laying on my belly hurt my implants?

I had a fully body massage yesterday. I didn't feel pain during the massage but laying on my belly towards the end I was starting to feel a little discomfort. A few hours later I continued to feel sore and pain. It feels like it is under and around my implants. I actually can press on my ribs closest to under my breast and feel the pain there and along my sternum. I have saline filled implants, under the muscle and they were put in 4 years ago. They are still soft to the touch and moveable.

Can a body massage hurt breast implants?

It is unlikely that a full body massage would "hurt" your breast implants. People often feel some tenderness following a brisk massage. If, however, the pain persists, or if they change in shape or softness, you should see your surgeon for follow up and exam.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Pain after massage

It's unlikely that the forces involved during a massage damaged the implant itself. If the saline implant failed you'd already know anyhow, as its not subtle. Given that you have no change in look or feel its unlikely you have a hematoma. Most likely is minor stretching of capsule or muscle. Try activity restriction, NSAIDs like Motrin or Aleve for a couple of days. If the appearance changes or it persists or worsens contact your PS. Best of luck.

Thank you for sharing your question.  Laying on your implants with pressure applied to your back may cause some mild musculoskeletal pain and soreness to develop which should improve within a day or two.  If there has been a change to your breast appearance or the pain persists, see your board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to ensure all is well.

Breast Augmentation Recovery

The recovery after surgery is a topic I spend a lot of time on during the initial consultation with my breast augmentation patients. I ask to limit all physical activity for three weeks after surgery. The patient is asked to massage gently at four weeks.

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Pain after body massage

Thank you for your question.  A fully body massage may have, in fact, caused you to have sore muscles.  It would be unlikely that your implants are damaged because of a massage.  Should the pain continue, best to consult with your physician.  Good Luck.

Massage will not do damage to four-year-old breast implants.

A vigorous massage could surely create some soreness in the areas you describe. However the integrity the implants would not be jeopardized by even the most vigorous of massages.

Thank you for your question. It is unlikely the damage of implants. May be muscular because you are on stomach for sometime. You have saline implants, if they rupture that side is going to be flat. I would recommend to keep an eye and it continue to bother seek a evaluation from your Physician.

Breast implants - pain after body massage.

Thank you for your question about your breast implants.

I doubt that your implants are damaged.
Lying on your stomach for so long led to pressure from the implants on your pectoral muscles -
This is the likely cause of your pain. 
it may take several days for the muscles to recover.
If the pain does not improve, please see your plastic surgeon.
In the future, direct the masseuse to get you extra pillows so you have two pillows - one on the lower chest, one for the head so you are not lying directly on the implants on a hard surface for a long time.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

After body massage pain.

I agree that if there was no significant change in the stiffness or position of the implants everything should be OK. Most patients are able to sleep on their stomachs as little as 4-6 weeks after surgery.  I'm not sure how often you get body massages, although a possibility is that some irregular pressure was put on the muscles surrounding your implant during the massage and the muscles were stretched - resulting in muscle soreness for that area. I would not be worried but if the pain persists and you want more information I suggest calling your board certified plastic surgeon or scheduling an appointment with him or her. 

Best wishes

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Will a body massage hurt my implants?

One of the advantages of saline implants is the ability to know if they fail.  If there is a problem with the saline implant shell, even a pinhole, the implants will deflate to the point of detection within a week.  The implant shells are reasonably resilient and generally it takes more than just pushing against them to cause them to fail.  I am always concerned about new pain, especially in the first weeks postop, but if the appearance and feel of the breast are unchanged and the tenderness resolves, it is most likely there is no problem.  I encourage my patients to come in to see me for a quick visit if there is any concern.

Samuel Beran, MD